Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 11:41 PM

Junior Warrant?

Was wondering what this is all about? I know you have to get 25 points between 6 and 18 months old, but what for? What does it mean, what does it get you?

Totally confused Rips x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Well it is an achievement in the show world to get a JW and a lot of JW winners go on to become Champions. I guess the whole point of doing it is to get the accolade and stand out from the crowd.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 08:36 AM
The 25 points are collected by winning breed classes at Open and Championship shows that have 3 or more dogs per class. 1 point for an Open Show win and 3 points for a Champ Show win. Not easy in minority breeds.

The Junior Warrant is an award of acheivement, and it gains the dog a Stud Book number, which permanently qualifies the dog for Crufts, no need to qualify each year.

Then there's the Show Certificate of Merit.

Dawn R.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 08:40 AM
well put Nursey you beat me to it
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:37 AM
There is a page on the KC site that has the claim form and the requirements but blowed if I can find it. Anyone else able to direct Rips.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Is this what you mean Thordell?

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/kennelclub/awards.htm
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes, Anne, thanks
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:12 PM
We only need 12 points for the Irish version, although the rules (as usual!) are more complex

I am sitting on 9 points with 7 months to go
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
We only need 12 points for the Irish version, although the rules (as usual!) are more complex

I am sitting on 9 points with 7 months to go
Oooo could you tell me a little about the irish version please? pretty please?!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 01:07 AM
ok..... here we go. I recommend you settle down with a cup of tea before you start reading!!!!!!
The first thing you need to do is ask the Irish Kennel Club to send you an official Junior Diploma card. You need this signed off by the judge each time you win a qualifying point. Makes the IKC's job easier as they get a completed card and just need to check the show results if they want to be sure. The first problem is getting hold of the IKC as it is a very small organisation but once you do get through they are very helpful. They also send you an information sheet on how it works BUT it is open to misinterpretation.
It says "you get 2 points for a Champ show win and 1 point for an Open win". You can only count one win per show (well not really - but hold on a bit!). You can get the point(s) even if you are the only dog entered in the breed. You also get it by winning the appropriate AV if your breed is not scheduled. Now for the bit that is easy to miss. You can only count TWO champ show wins (4 points) so that means 8 Open show wins on top. HOWEVER you get a bonus 2 points if you win the group (either type of show) BUT you can only count that ONCE. So you can do it on 2 Champ show wins, a group win then 6 Open show wins.
Drawbacks? Well apart from trying to work out what is needed, you need to remember to dash back in the ring straight after BOB and ask the judge to sign your card, don't forget to fill in the details when you get home. It happens to fit into my non-Irish, Pedigree armband bought at Crufts last year so it is always with me but I have dragged a bewildered Deccy across a ring filling up with another breed to catch the judge on ocassions when I have nearly forgotten.
The other drawback is the Opens. These are slightly different from the uk ones in that nearly every breed is scheduled, but there is often only Open dog or bitch scheduled - one class -so with a puppy you are up against the adults. Pity you can only count 2 Champ show wins as puppy classes have very low entries so it is far easier to get, by default. But I suppose they don't want to make it TOO easy!
I am not sure what benefits you get with a J.D. No stud book numbers with the IKC, no life qualification for Crufts, I have never seen entries in any breed with "JD" after their name but I think I get a nice fancy certificate with Celtic knots and beautiful artwork like the Champ certs and even the Green Star certificates - but that's another story!

Phew! Time to go to bed I think! Hope this is useful.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >