Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sgurr
New Member!
Female 

11-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Frequently used sires - DNA profiles

I breed working lines English Springer Spaniels, normally just one litter per year from fully health tested parents. I have two stud dogs and both of them would fall within the requirements for DNA Profiling as frequently used sires as set out by the American Kennel Club - quoted below.

The Board of Directors redefined The American Kennel Club's leadership role in the world of purebred dogs by being the first all breed registry to require DNA profiles for stud dogs routinely siring litters. Effective for litters whelped on or after July 1, 2000, every sire producing seven or more litters in a lifetime or producing more than three litters in a calendar year must be 'AKC DNA Profiled.' These DNA profiles will be used for genetic identity and for parentage verification, and, thus, will be used to advance issues relating to the integrity of the registry

My older male has more than seven litters and the younger sired three litters in 2013. I would welcome The Kennel Club introducing similar requirements for DNA profiling for the purposes mentioned. I wonder what other people's views are on this. Thank you.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-09-2014, 03:13 AM
I don't see the harm. I could see mainly byb raising a huge stink tho.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately the KC don't even make health testing mandatory, as long as you pay your money you can register your litter with them. All my girls are health tested and I would only use a health tested sire where my COE was less than 8%, I research backgrounds thoroughly. Very sadly I sometimes feel I am a voice in the wilderness when I look round and see what's going on, KC couldn't care less. I just hope my breed is never recognised by them