Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 07:38 PM

sad & mad

Today we have had a lost dog at work, we found it, unfortunately covered in blood, it had savaged something, we thought probably a deer was laying injured and in pain somewhere, but it turned out to have been seen attacking sheep, four were affected, luckily all barren so no lost lambs this time, what makes me mad is that this dog has done this before, why wasn't it kept on a lead? It could have attacked anything?

The sad part is that now the owner doesn't want the dog anymore and is finding a new home, I am sometimes ashamed to admit to being a dog owner.

This dog is one of the fancy must have crossbreds
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 07:45 PM
can one of the inner city rescue centers take it. a friend of ours had a rescue dog, it had been (so the farmer said) after sheep, and hes one of the most lovely dogs ive had the pleasure to meet.
hope u can re-home him.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh, how very sad. Hope things work out ok in the end for this dog. Poor sheep though
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh bless its heartbreaking, there is a dog near me thats off a lead all the time, it wont be long before the farmer shoots him, its just awful
I hope this one gets a better home x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I hope it works out in the end, poor sheep too.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Think I may be sticking my neck over the parapet now.

I am horrified that someone would dream of re-homing a sheep worrying dog. They should either keep it themselves making sure it is not able to get anywhere near sheep or any other live stock or it should be PTS. Yes, I am a dog lover but I also have respect for others livestock and wild life.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post

I am horrified that someone would dream of re-homing a sheep worrying dog. They should either keep it themselves making sure it is not able to get anywhere near sheep or any other live stock or it should be PTS. Yes, I am a dog lover but I also have respect for others livestock and wild life.
There are plenty of area`s where dogs can safely be rehomed where they would never set eye`s on another sheep, or be homed with people with a working braincell who would never let them off lead anywhere near sheep
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post

Sorry I don't agree, we rarely encounter sheep on our walks due to where we live.

I don't feel in any way that the owner of this dog should be keeping it - they're clearly not responsible enough to own a dog and if they keep it, there's far more chance of the dog worrying sheep.

By rehoming it via a reputable rescue to a more responsible owner who can avoid walking near sheep - or, like me, rarely encounters sheep anyway (and when we do they're fenced away! I don't believe I've ever had to leash my dogs due to sheep in the area) then the dog gets a better chance at life and the livestock are safe without the need for wasting a life.

Unless of course, the idiot that owns this dog goes and gets another dog and lets it offleash around livestock - but this would likely happen if dog #1 was put to sleep anyway.

I too respect livestock and wildlife, my dogs will be called off from a chase if they're chasing wild rabbits etc (which they very rarely do) but if we're hanging around and I'm likely to lose their attention, they go on a lead so they can't go frightening the wildlife -even though they don't chase to catch!

I think if the right precautions are taken, there's no reason not to rehome a sheep worrier, Eddy's dog aggressive but was rehomed with us, his behaviour is managed and worked on and he's the most loving dog ever with people and the dogs he knows - why couldn't the same be said for a sheep worrier?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Agree they may not see a sheep but they have the urge to chase and grab, anything running will switch him on, may even be children in a play ground, wish you were correct but this dog is destined for a series of homes to end up who knows how.

He may, if he is very lucky, end up with people who will be told the whole truth about his habits and will be able to keep him and the surrounding people and animals safe from his desire to chase and grab. But from experience re-homing services are not always truthful when it comes to finding a dog a home there have been examples of that on here.

I know it seems hard but there are thousands of faultless dogs who need a home why risk re-homing a rouge one.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree with Pita completely.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >