View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 09:40 AM
I'll give another try at persuading them not to do this, and if it doesn't work then I'll just keep Lucy by me all the time. I know this sound silly, but I love her so much and I don't want her to die because I didn't try hard enough.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Not silly at all Kate, and exactly the reaction we would have expected from you.
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi Kate,

I agree with Shadowboxer, tell them you're not having anything to do with it, that way they will have to find the stud, get her health checks done etc. Maybe they'll find they can't be bothered and let the whole idea go (though if they did go ahead, I know you couldn't leave it all to them, I couldn't either).

If they are so desperate for a puppy, why not go out and buy one instead of breeding a whole litter???

Just want to comment on one point of yours, you say:

"What I would be aiming for (I say I and not my mother & sister as they only want puppies, and I am in charge of the finding of the stud and the mechanics of the breeding and whelping) is in body a square dog, athletic, with a terrier-type build, with hair that borders between a poodle's and a schnauzer's. In the head I would be aiming for a nice square muzzle, alert round eyes as dark as I can get them, button ears, and a intelligent expression. The tail should be carried over and resting on the back and should be well feathered. I am looking to breed a dog which could be a only a pet, but could also be a good agility and flyball dog."

You must know that you can't possibly predict what the pups will look like, since you don't know what is in Lucy's background, but you sound like you are writing a breed standard!! You may well get something completely different in looks and temperament from your Lucy.

Anyway, good luck, and give your Mum and sister a good kick up the butt from me.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Lizzy I laughed when I read that you said I sounded like I was writing a breed standard, not out of badness, just when I looked back I realised that's exactly what I sounded like. Sorry about that, I really sounded stupid.

I had another talk with my mother (without my sister for obvious reasons), I told her that Lucy could well die, and that if anything happened to either her or the puppies that she (mother) would be responsible as she wanted a litter. I think I got through this time.

I would be happy to kick my sister (probably will ) but my mother might be a little bit harder.

Thanks for putting up with me.
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Don't be silly, it isn't a matter of putting up with you!! I've read most of your posts, and you bring a lot more to this forum than people 3 times your age on others. (In fact on some other boards, my opinions, though based on fact and experience, are dismissed as I am 21.)

I really hope that you get through to your Mum. GOOD LUCK!
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2004, 09:36 PM
it really wouldnt be kind to your bitch to have a litter from her---as shes a cross breed and your thinking of using another cross breed you cant know whats behind the breeding-there could be say a great dane that would cause her to have really big pups and perhaps die trying to pass them-with pedigrees we at least know the size etc of everything behind the sires.
i really cant see any need to breed from her no matter how lovley she is, suggest to your mother and sister that they go and rescue there own cross breed :smt017

also if you think theyd really take your bitch and breed from her regardless of your wishes :smt009 then the injection to stop them coming into season cant cost that much. ??????

i really hope you think twice, youve no idea what youd get. :smt102
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2004, 08:39 AM
I think I discouraged them. No idea how, I just been saying the same things I aways have to them. But I think I layed it on harder because I heard them talking in the kitchen about using Tamino with her when he grows up. And this is Tamino, who at 17 weeks weighs 1.5 kg more than Lucy, and who will eventually weigh 13-15 kg, and has huge shoulders. I'll just keep her on the lead by my side all the time.

Thanks Dizzy and Lizzy
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Well at least you survived asking the question on this site without being publicly disembowelled ..quick the smelling salts!
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Very true
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2004, 09:43 PM
amazing isnt it :smt016 but isnt that how it should be-everyones entitled to there own opinion. :smt038
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >