Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:04 AM

Surgery to remove teeth???

Sorry havent been here in awhile. But the vet said Chevy is probably going to need surgery to remove some of her baby teeth because her adult teeth are coming in and some baby teeth arent falling out...

anyone have this happen before ? is this abnormal?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi Madelyn retained deciduous teeth are not uncommon in puppies, I had a puppy age 9 months who had four removed, it was done at the same time she was spayed so that she didn't have to have more general anaesthetics than necessary.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Madelyn retained deciduous teeth are not uncommon in puppies, I had a puppy age 9 months who had four removed, it was done at the same time she was spayed so that she didn't have to have more general anaesthetics than necessary.
thank you... at first it was somthing i did because my other little min pin i had she lost all her puppy teeth no problem.. the vet had said leave them for a little while to see if they fall out on there own.how long should i leave them?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by spaznchevy View Post
thank you... at first it was somthing i did because my other little min pin i had she lost all her puppy teeth no problem.. the vet had said leave them for a little while to see if they fall out on there own.how long should i leave them?
Hi Madelyn that really depends on where the retained teeth are/how firmly they are in the gums /if they are starting to cause a misalignment of the newly erupted teeth.

Providing lots of suitable things for a puppy to chew will often help to dislodge retained teeth , if not the vet is the best person to decide when an operation is necessary based on the points I have mentioned.
cassassin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Hiya

I have two small breed dogs. One is a Pomeranian cross (Wookie 13 months) and the other is a pedigree Pomeranian (Buckles, 10 months).

We had Wookie neutered at 6 months of age and he had between 2 and 4 retained teeth removed while he was under.

Buckles still has 4 teeth that will need pulling and we are planning to have him neutered in the next week or two, so the teeth will come out then. My breeder informed me that if you leave the teeth in too long, there is a chance the jaw may deform slightly.

It is a very common issue in small breeds, I've never had an issue with any larger breeds retaining teeth.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes we have been through this, our Kioti had 6 retained puppy teeth, with adult teeth nearly through It was effecting him while eatting ect! So needed them all removed, the OP went well..
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the replies all!! Chevy had 5 retained puppy teeth 2 had fallin out by themselves and the 3 others the vet had to do.. but she is doing good now...
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear some fell out on their own, and that all went well when the vet took the others out!