View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Long distance sensing of owners stress/worry???

Do you think its possible that My 7 year old Staffy boy Kilo could sense my stress/panic/worry, whilst 70 miles away???

I'm due to give birth to my first baby on the 8th of May and have travelled back to Manchester to stay with my Mum for babys arrival, leaving the dogs in Birmingham with the BF.

Last night I thought baby was coming already, so obviously I started worrying slightly, impending labour an all, but after symptoms subsided I had sent the BF a message telling him of the closeness I'd been to calling him to get his backside up to Manchester, and he informed me that Kilo had become restless all of a sudden about 30 mins or so before I'd sent the message, which coinsided with my panicking.

Coinsidence or are me and Kilo that connected?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't know but I am convinced that dogs MAY be telepathic after something strange that happened to us a couple of months ago.

We were driving back from my Mum's and had left our 2 dogs at home (just 5 miles away) and on the way back we sadly saw a car in the opposite carriageway hit a cat. He didn't stop so we stopped to see if it was badly injured. It was dead so we took it to the night surgery vet in case someone should call to see what had happened to it (we asked in the area but no-one knew whose cat it was).

As you can imagine, although we aren't cat lovers we were very upset and subdued that night. When we came back home our dogs did not bark once when we opened the front door and walked up the stairs to release them from where they were left behind the stair-gate on the landing.

This was unheard of as Parker akways barks at us when we come home, even though he knows it is us, and Cherry will put a few pennies' worth of wuffs in as well! However, that evening, for the first time in their lives, neither of them barked at all. Strange don't you think?

So, if you'd asked me before this incident whether your dog could be picking up on your emotions at such a distance I would probably have thought it unlikely but now I am not so sure.

Best wishes for the big event too!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I think there is something... My dog is with 'Grandma' (my Mum during the day) and he will become very subdue during the day on the days I'm stressed, I will be fine and happy in the morning, usual routine, but something will happen and she can notice a change in him. Needless to say, if he is quiet during the day she will give me more space when I get home.

I also find it very strange that every time I am really poorly (eg end up in hospital) he will end up at the vets! It's so weird!

Oh every day when I arrive home he is sat on my bed, watching out of the window for me. I used to hate this as I would think he must of been sat there all day (as he does this no matter what time I come home, as I work shifts, or go shopping, out with friends or what ever else). But after talking to OH or my Mum he just goes up 5 or 10 mins before I arrive home. Can he really hear my car that far off or is something else at play?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't honestly know, I suspect it coincidence a lot of the time, however I have a weird story within our family.

One of my nan's dogs, a mutt called Bonzo, lived with them during WWII. One night during the blackout they had got the dog and all the family in for fear of a raid, however the dog slipped out. They were all worried but noone was stupid enough to go out in the blackout to search for the dog. A few hours later there was a knock on the door, they opened it to find her brother standing there in full uniform and Bonzo. Turns out her brother had been sent home from the war unexpectedly and noone knew he was coming. However he arrived at the train station, in the pitch black, to find Bonzo waiting for him! Bonzo then led him home through the blackout to my nan's home Weird, huh?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:23 AM
No I don`t think dogs have mystic powers. But I do think they can spot when their owners` not there. And their routine is upset. And they don`t like it!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't think most dogs have such powers but some I'm not so sure. I had a bitch in the eighties who would go & sit by the window 20 minutes before I got home though my time of arriving could be anything from 4.30 to 7 oclock. After a while my mother was so confident in her accuracy that she put my meal on when she indicated. However in spite of this when I was on holiday & she began to get excited too early on the day I was due to arrive back they put it down to signals they were giving off & told her not yet, However I then arrived home as my plane had landed 90 minutes early & her reactions occured at the time the plane landed.
Can't explain this or other things she did but have never had another dog who was like it in all my over 60 years of owning them.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I am loving the stories in this thread!

My grandma went shooting one day but only took one of the dogs with her.... a slightly naughty spaniel that needed some extra training. All the other dogs (black labs, cocker spaniels and an irish water spaniel) stayed home at the garden center with my grandad.

Without reason, the irish water spaniel got quite aggitated, pacing around and whimpering which was very unusual for Teasel.

Grandad found out a few hours later that grandma had been pulled over, and broke her wrist.

Did Teasel know? I guess only Teasel knows the answer to that.......
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Some of these stories are really interesting. It would be nice to think they are telepathic... although does that mean when i'm thinking 'pleeeease stop licking yourself, we have visitors' that they are ignoring me????
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I swear my staffy knows what I am thinking, lol.

In all seriousness, I dont think they are telepathic or psychic or anything, but they are incredibly tuned into us - they pick up on any signs of anxiousness and nerves, your boyfriend will prob be a little on edge too so he will have been picking up on that, plus with you not there he might have been a bit worried anyway. I'm pregnant too and my boy has become very clingy with me (more than normal) and really tuned in to what I'm doing/how I'm feeling - prob cause of my body language, etc.
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Nice to hear of different yet similar stories.

Kilo has always been a mummys boy with me, although I didnt get him until he was about 2 up until which point he belonged to my neighbour, so I have known him sinse he was 8 weeks old.

Whilst we still lived here in Manchester at my mums he used to sulk while I was at work, not eating or drinking (unless he was offered something tastier than his own food) even though my dad was home most of the day, and he'd always be majorly excited when I got home and would then wolf down his food and drink loads.

He knows when I'm upset and comes to comfort me, and is a bit of a 'jealous bum' as we call him, if I'm fussing Asha and will barge in and steal my hand with his head/nose, sometimes I'll tell him to wait his turn, at which point he then trots off to my BF for fuss, but stares at me the whole time as if then expecting ME to become jealous?

With the pregnancy he's still been the same dog, apart from me having to calm to hello's when I get back from anywhere to stop them both jumping at me, they'll both wait until I'm ready to say hello now. Asha has changed sinse I've been preggers, Kilo doesn't seem to have picked up on it.

This is the longest I've been away from them both for a while now, they were used to me dissapearing for one or two nights occasionally and took it in their stride, not even bothering to see me off though Kilo would be soppier the day I'd be leaving, like he knew mummy was going to dissapear again, but he knew I'd be back. Now they are both missing me according to the BF, moping around and sulking, at least they're both still eating, Kilo took to the BF on first meeting him, which was great sinse he isnt always great with guys so I know he's comfortable and happy. my poor doggies, I'll need to return baring tasty gifts I think, then comes the job of introducing baby!