Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jess228
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-11-2013, 08:46 AM

Sleeping outside

I was just wondering what people think of my girl sleeping outside she is a gsd x Alaskan mal she has a shed with the bed out the back and she crys to go out to it sometimes durning the day I no mals are use to cold weather (I live in Ireland so it can be cold enough sometimes) some people have told me that my breed of dog would per fair to b outside but I still think she might be still to young eleven though she looks big she still is only a baby she has plenty of shelter from the wind and rain I turned my kids old wooden playhouse into a kennel and she's loves it I would like to no peoples opinion on it and for the people out there that are thinking I'm giving up on my dog and shud rehome her please keep your comments to yourself as I love my girl to to bits and I just want to no what people taught thank you
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
My lot are right wimps and fall out with me if I close the door on them for longer than it takes them to wee

I think if the dog actually wants to sleep outside like you say, and she has appropriate shelter then its fine.

I assume you arent just going to chuck her out and leave her there all the time with no interaction, so its not really much different to having the dog sleep in the utility room or the kitchen alone at night
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
My personal thoughts are that she will be fine. My last GSD was born in outside kennels she got used to being inside but also still spent a lot of time outside.

LOTS of dogs live outside all the time in Cyprus but the weather here is very different. I feel sorry for some of them because it's so HOT.

We have other members whose dogs 'live outside' all or some of the time and I'm sure they will be along to advise.
Jess228
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks no I would never just trow her out I think she likes it out here she has a thick coat and some times if she is out there 4 a hour or so she will fall asleep and I would have to call her to come back in she never crys to come in only when she sees me getting her bowl at feeding time it's not artic conditions here (Ireland) but can get cold in winter around 1 degree I won't put her out all the time I just want her to get used to it cause she is going to be a very big girl so I think she would more suited to her kennel
Jess228
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Sorry she is nearly 5 months with all her vac's and has been wormed each month from birth
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
was just wondering what people think of my girl sleeping outside she is a gsd x Alaskan mal she has a shed with the bed out the back and she crys to go out to it sometimes durning the day I no mals are use to cold weather (I live in Ireland so it can be cold enough sometimes) some people have told me that my breed of dog would per fair to b outside but I still think she might be still to young eleven though she looks big she still is only a baby she has plenty of shelter from the wind and rain I turned my kids old wooden playhouse into a kennel and she's loves it I would like to no peoples opinion on it and for the people out there that are thinking I'm giving up on my dog and shud rehome her please keep your comments to yourself as I love my girl to to bits and I just want to no what people taught thank you
Hello Paul many dogs do live outside. I think the main thing if they are outside is that they have a dry bed free of draughts. A kennel/box with warm bedding inside a shed would offer this.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
All my girls live outside and the ones I have bred went outside at around 6 weeks, although there were heat lamps for when it got really cold. My kennels are purpose built and are more like houses than the traditional kennel. They have double insulated floors, are boarded out inside and rubber matting is down with a thick layer of shavings in the winter and a shallower layer in the summer. I skip out 3 times a day and the shavings are changed regularly. They have an insulated sleeping compartment as well. As long as they are clean dry and warm with regular contact with you and come in the house sometimes to interact with the family I don't see there being a problem, although I know lots of people will more than likely disagree
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 10:27 AM
My neice and her partner are both with the police. Her partner is a dog handler and they both ADORE the dog. As a working police dog, she is not allowed to 'live in the house'. She has secure, dry, safe outside quarters. She is occasionally allowed into the kitchen for short times and when she was spayed recently - allowed to sleep indoors until they were sure she was all healed up OK. A finer specimen of a dog you'd be hard pressed to find.

She enjoys the occasional BBQ

Lisa is not allowed to make too much fuss of her either - though she sneaks the occasional cuddle in! She is hoping to become a dog handler herself so understands the importance of following the rules.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 11:45 AM
As everyone have said ... I wouldn't have thought there would be any problems at all with your dog living outside. So long as she is provided with a draft free, dry kennel with her bed off the floor I'm sure she'll be fine. All my cousins farm dogs - 2x German Shepherds and 3 x Jack Russells live outside and have access to a stable at all times. They are welcome in her farm house kitchen but all prefer it outside.
Jess228
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
She's lovely what age is she Jess is like her but I think she will have more hair when she grows up her owners should be so proud of her cause I no I would be
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >