Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmagpie
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2013, 11:03 PM

Anyone know of quick dog walk off M4 in Cardiff

We usually stop at the services, but it's not that great for the dogs, are there any woodsy walks quickly off the motorway around there? I did try looking on drivingwithdogs.com (I think it was that one) but you have to pay to get the info, which I thought was quite cheeky! We don't feel we should have to pay just to find out where there is a dog walk!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Yeah there are loads - I don't really venture around those parts but you could go to Tredegar House, Newport which is just before you hit Cardiff http://goo.gl/maps/RaKhr or Taffs Well http://goo.gl/maps/Y1QQY

Have a look on the Forestry Commission website, I bet there will be lots on there.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 11:38 PM
I've just ordered the paperback "Walking the Dog - Motorway walks for drivers and dogs" as I didn't know such a thing existed. Amazon have said 2-3 working days so I'll let you know as soon as I get it ..... unless that is too late.
madmagpie
New Member!
Female 

02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I've just ordered the paperback "Walking the Dog - Motorway walks for drivers and dogs" as I didn't know such a thing existed. Amazon have said 2-3 working days so I'll let you know as soon as I get it ..... unless that is too late.
Thanks, that would be handy! It's around junction 30 off the M4 at Cardiff
we're looking to stop for a break
madmagpie
New Member!
Female 

02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yeah there are loads - I don't really venture around those parts but you could go to Tredegar House, Newport which is just before you hit Cardiff http://goo.gl/maps/RaKhr or Taffs Well http://goo.gl/maps/Y1QQY

Have a look on the Forestry Commission website, I bet there will be lots on there.
Thank you, will have a look!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
OK I'll be back here as soon as it arrives.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
The book arrived today (very quick).

RAC "Walking the dog" Motorway walks for drivers and dogs.by Lezli Rees and was £4.99
This is what it says:

Coed Cosesau Whips Junction 30 off M4 (No postcode available)
Getting there: From the Junction 30 roundabout take the turning for Rudry. At a mini roundabout take exit 2, signed 'Through Traffic'. This is a narrow lane with passing places. Pass a farm on your right and then turn left at a T-Junction, signed Lisvane. A Forrrestry Commission car park in on the right.
Facilities: Free parking at forest. Campervan access. Cardiff Gate motorway services are on the exit roundabout from the motorway.
The Walk: Take the broad track leading gently uphill between the trees. In wet weather this track is the firmest path and provides a clear route to follow. It's uphill for the first half and obviously downhill on the way back. Enticing trails lead off to left and right, and are worth exploring. This is a dream spot for dog walkers, and a delightfully remote place to ramble in glorious solitude.
Return to M4 Junction 30: Turn left out of the car park and take the first right turn (unsigned). Cross the mini roundabout to rejoin the motorway.
The photo looks lovely of the forestry commission mentioned above. The next recommended walk is Jct 32 which is Castell Coch (CF15 7JS) which is a stunning castle in glorious grounds. Only guide dogs allowed in the actual castle though. If you want details let me know.

or/

Junction 28 Tredegar House (postcode NP10 8YW)
which looks absolutely fab. 90 acres of parkland and woodland trail. Dogs can run off lead here. Lots to see as well as the house has been in Dracula, Dr Who and Torchwood. Pay & Display car park with loos, cafe, shop, campervan access and free poo bags.

I have to say its a brilliant little book (6" x 4") and covers all motorways in the UK which will be so useful for me when we go travelling next year.

Hope this helps.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Just bumping this up so that Madmagpie notices this.
madmagpie
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
The book arrived today (very quick).

RAC "Walking the dog" Motorway walks for drivers and dogs.by Lezli Rees and was £4.99
This is what it says:

Coed Cosesau Whips Junction 30 off M4 (No postcode available)
Getting there: From the Junction 30 roundabout take the turning for Rudry. At a mini roundabout take exit 2, signed 'Through Traffic'. This is a narrow lane with passing places. Pass a farm on your right and then turn left at a T-Junction, signed Lisvane. A Forrrestry Commission car park in on the right.
Facilities: Free parking at forest. Campervan access. Cardiff Gate motorway services are on the exit roundabout from the motorway.
The Walk: Take the broad track leading gently uphill between the trees. In wet weather this track is the firmest path and provides a clear route to follow. It's uphill for the first half and obviously downhill on the way back. Enticing trails lead off to left and right, and are worth exploring. This is a dream spot for dog walkers, and a delightfully remote place to ramble in glorious solitude.
Return to M4 Junction 30: Turn left out of the car park and take the first right turn (unsigned). Cross the mini roundabout to rejoin the motorway.
The photo looks lovely of the forestry commission mentioned above. The next recommended walk is Jct 32 which is Castell Coch (CF15 7JS) which is a stunning castle in glorious grounds. Only guide dogs allowed in the actual castle though. If you want details let me know.

or/

Junction 28 Tredegar House (postcode NP10 8YW)
which looks absolutely fab. 90 acres of parkland and woodland trail. Dogs can run off lead here. Lots to see as well as the house has been in Dracula, Dr Who and Torchwood. Pay & Display car park with loos, cafe, shop, campervan access and free poo bags.

I have to say its a brilliant little book (6" x 4") and covers all motorways in the UK which will be so useful for me when we go travelling next year.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, yes that's been very helpful!
madmagpie
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Just bumping this up so that Madmagpie notices this.
Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >