View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Florence dogs have much more sensitive hearing than we do. It could be to do with the frequency of the sound as much as the volume.

I put up with a lot of outside noise living here but one of the noises that really 'gets' to me is the high pitched whine from a sawmill over the back. Not a loud noise but whiney and at regular intervals. I actually prefer the non stop barking guard dogs to that.

And when someone had a faulty water pressure pump on the roof the low pitched hum/vibration from it nearly drove me nuts at night. I slept in another room for a while as I found myself lying there listening to it! Another neighbour and I solved it by making a big foam cushion wrapped in plastic for it to 'sit on' and stop the vibration down the lift shaft near it which is what could be heard in the building. It had not been bolted down.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm hoping that tonight it stays quiet because it's very windy and rainy here. Not often I appreciate stormy weather
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Well I doubt that 'fun snaps' will ever be banned and they're one of the worst things for my dog. Even far away, even something that remotely sounds like a fun snap freaks her out. If she was off lead outside, she'd bolt and run away blindly. She's hid in a bush of nettles once because the sound of a cricket bat at a bbq, it sounds a bit like a fun snap so she thought it was the world ending.
After I went to show her it was just cricket, she relaxed. Weird.. I wonder what's made her be so afraid of them.
But yeah it's not just the big fireworks that set her off.
When I went on holiday the so called 'fun snaps' drove me insane, I hate them, I'm glad that Rosie wasn't with us she would have been traumatised
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I agree with you Tang it's probably the pitch. She can hear it from really far away, even when I don't hear it. That's why sometimes I don't know why she freaks out and the afterwards I realise there have been fun snaps involved..
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Do you think its too late now for me to get an adaption diffuser? Do you have to be using them for a while to get the benefits?
No, it's not too late. You're better off using it a week or two in advance, but it certainly isn't too late and if you're running it in the 'come down' days when everyone is setting off the extra fireworks, it'll help. I usually run it for a month: two weeks before, two weeks after.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
When I went on holiday the so called 'fun snaps' drove me insane, I hate them, I'm glad that Rosie wasn't with us she would have been traumatised
'Fun Snaps'-- are those those horrid little paper twists that you throw at the ground? I HATE those things! I'm not sure you can get them where I am. I haven't encountered them in a long time.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:24 PM
For instance this evening I heard a low loud roar and thought it was thunder so dashed outside to check but it was a plane coming in very low. It was followed rapidly by two others coming in the same.

Shoulda known it wasn't thunder because Bella didn't bat an eyelid or even get up. They were louder than thunder but didn't disturb her at all whereas she REALLY doesn't like thunder. (Although that is probably to do with the change in atmospheric pressure usually accompanying thunder)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
I wasn't being offensive, it's something I've always said, and my 2 family members who are soldiers and have been to war zones are not offended so I appologise if it did you
Mandy, I apologise to you. You were not to know my situation and you did not offend methe expression just upset me a bit.

My angel Little One was terrified of the slightest sound. She would burrow her way behind the paperback books on the lowest level of one of my bookshelves. Luckily Pereg, who has major epilepsy, copes - she wants to rush out when the sirens howl. . I always think I can cope but when that siren howls I am so frightened.

Yes it was my choice to come and live here 28 years ago and I love where I live. Lately things have been bad due to never ending roadworks, but in spite of that I am happy here. But the sirens and the boom booms frighten me -my only consolation is that they do not seem to bother Pereg.

I apologise if I sounded that I was having a go at you - I did not mean it to sound that way. But I do live in a a rather uncomfortable place so got a bit uptight about your comment.

My fault and I apologise.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Poor Rosie.
Haven't had any round this way yet, Holly is very pleased about this.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
They have started with a vengence here now and it's only going to get worse as the evening goes on - we have a huge public display about 5 minutes away later

Luna isn't at all bothered, Rayne who wasn't fussed last year has this year taken to charging around the house barking and squealing everytime one goes off, and poor Max who is at my parents has had to be put on Diazepam this year as his noise phobia has now gone beyond the point of adaptil / herbal remedies last thunder storm we had he managed to rip the curtain poll out of the wall.

This isn't going to be a fun evening...
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >