Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
On the subject of people who don't know much about the law relating to dogs - where did you come up with that bit of wrong information? That it is illegal to leave a dog at home alone for more than 4hrs?

Because it certainly is not.

A lot of rescues now will not allow people who are out at work for more than 4hrs a day to rehome one of their dogs. But it is not illegal and there are many members of this forum who leave their dogs for that long and even longer while they are out at work.
Can you imagine how many dogs would be PTS if it were true even going to hospital takes longer than 4 hours !
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
When my husband was a milkman we sued too when a dog bit him, why on earth shouldn't people be compensated when they are bitten ?
Quite rightly so.

Can you imagine how many dogs would be PTS if it were true even going to hospital takes longer than 4 hours !
Well I do like to TRY to correct these bits of misinformation when I see them (though it is hard to keep up) just in case newbie members to the site see them and take them as 'gospel'.

As regards a 'vet' giving this info out Joedee - well I couldn't possibly comment! Maybe it was on a web page entitled www.dogs_can_be_left_alone_all_day.com
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Here in the US you must post a sign if you have a dangerous dog and many people post a sign even if their dog is not dangerous. I had a dangerous guard dog in my back yard for many years due to the type of work we did. I had to post my fences every 10 feet, register at the police department and carry extra insurance. My dog did bite one person who had no business being in my yard and it was not a problem for me. He did try to sue me but only got himself arrested for trespassing.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
Here in the US you must post a sign if you have a dangerous dog and many people post a sign even if their dog is not dangerous. I had a dangerous guard dog in my back yard for many years due to the type of work we did. I had to post my fences every 10 feet, register at the police department and carry extra insurance. My dog did bite one person who had no business being in my yard and it was not a problem for me. He did try to sue me but only got himself arrested for trespassing.
Same here in Cyprus it's supposed to be a requirement that ALL dog owners have a Beware of the Dog sign outside their homes. I see a few but not many and I'd feel totally stupid putting one on my 4th floor apartment front door! And no one has any business being AT my door anyway as we have an entryphone system for them to use at ground level outside the main doors.

I do have an A4 sign I hang on the door knob when I am out and the dog is in. Here it is ...

The blue bit is the hole for hanging it on the door knob.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Quite rightly so.

Well I do like to TRY to correct these bits of misinformation when I see them (though it is hard to keep up) just in case newbie members to the site see them and take them as 'gospel'.

As regards a 'vet' giving this info out Joedee - well I couldn't possibly comment! Maybe it was on a web page entitled www.dogs_can_be_left_alone_all_day.com
I actually clicked on that
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
I actually clicked on that
LOL! Well you'd have had the same result clicking on the link Gemini put in her post!

Gotcha! Now go to my personal website www.buymeaporsche.com and donate as much as you can afford please.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Hi I have included a link,

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/facts...eforadog05.pdf

A lot of dogs rehoming charities will not allow you to take a dog if you work full time,I have always found that when you get bck,they have made a mess which isnt pleasant for you or the dog.Gemini54
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 09:23 AM
But that isn't a law that is an individual charity making their own rules up.

Many dogs have to be left longer mine are fairly lucky it isn't often but when I was in hospital last week I put down puppy pads and made them comfortable and they were fine for the 8 hours I was gone. Or would you suggest PTS all the dogs people have when they have to leave them for more than 4 hours ?
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 10:08 AM
But that isn't a law that is an individual charity making their own rules up.

Many dogs have to be left longer mine are fairly lucky it isn't often but when I was in hospital last week I put down puppy pads and made them comfortable and they were fine for the 8 hours I was gone. Or would you suggest PTS all the dogs people have when they have to leave them for more than 4 hours ?
Hi I have seen the Animal Programmes,where a person has been reported for leaving a dog alone,my late Afghan used to howl continously until a doggy day centre was opened and he went there.Some dogs are fine on their own but others are not,It always weighed heavily on my conscience,leaving my dogs for any length of time.We had a guy who moved down from corby,he was our local dogs warden,and in Corby people used to let there dogs out,every day and they became a nuisance to everyone,but very few would check with the pound if there dog had been picked up,as it would cost money to retrieve your dog.I think it just depends on your dog and if they can go several hours without needing to toilet,but four hours seems to be an average time for most dogs.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi I have seen the Animal Programmes,where a person has been reported for leaving a dog alone,my late Afghan used to howl continously until a doggy day centre was opened and he went there.Some dogs are fine on their own but others are not,It always weighed heavily on my conscience,leaving my dogs for any length of time.We had a guy who moved down from corby,he was our local dogs warden,and in Corby people used to let there dogs out,every day and they became a nuisance to everyone,but very few would check with the pound if there dog had been picked up,as it would cost money to retrieve your dog.I think it just depends on your dog and if they can go several hours without needing to toilet,but four hours seems to be an average time for most dogs.Gemini54
You really need to include CREDIBLE LINKS to this stuff you come out with as if it was fact. You did the same re circusses a while back. I am not saying you 'dream it up' but you do get it wrong so it would be interesting to see where you get it from - I'd be happy to inform them they are wrong too (unless it is just you misinterpreting it).

It is not against the law to leave a dog alone for more than 4hrs. You stated that it was in what read like a little rant about people not knowing the law regarding dogs!

It's been mentioned many times on here that some rescues are now insisting on owners not being away at work for more than around 4hrs a day. That's not new.

But it isn't the law. I don't know what these 'animal programmes' you get your information from are because, as usual, you are vague about it you don't say WHICH programmes. Maybe Animal Planet programmes from AUS and the US? (but I doubt it's law there either that you can't leave a dog alone for more than FOUR HOURS!)

As for how long a dog can go without needing 'the toilet' as you put it. Well the little dog I have now can go overnight for up to 10 to 12 hours and not be in any hurry to get out. My previous dog didn't go that long but then she used to get up and drink during the night.

But that's another topic. You were talking about people's ignorance of the law regarding animals and saying it was illegal to leave a dog alone for more than 4 hrs. You said:

Hi You would be surprised how many dog owners do not know anything about the legal side of keeping a dog,there was a programme on,about leaving dogs alone but it never mentioned that by law you should not leave a dog for more than 4 hours
The UK laws regarding the welfare of animals is not difficult to find. Anyone can check it. Perhaps you should so so before you come out with these erroneous statements.

Have a read of it

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »