Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2005, 04:54 PM

A shameless plug to help rabbits!

Did you know that there are over 33,000 rabbits in rescue centres all over the UK? The problem is so bad that many rescue centres have long waiting lists! A new centre in Leicester opened only a few weeks ago and she already has 15 rabbits and a waiting list. I'm sure you can imagine how much hard work this entails for all the volunteers who give up so much of their time and money to ensure these bunnies have a better life. Many rescue centres neuter and vaccinate all rabbits and nurse many back to health, and some stay in centres for weeks, months or even years before rehoming. I personally know of several rescues which are "one man bands", with the owners also working full time to cover the costs!

Sadly many rabbits are handed over to rescues due to ignorance. People think that rabbits will make good childrens pets and this is simply not true! People buy baby rabbits from pet shops and breeders only to discover that as soon as they hit puberty, they often turn into little terrors and are not terribly cute and cuddly! Ignorant of the need for neutering, and the needs of rabbits for company and to be treated in a way that does not scare them (they are prey animals so often hate being picked up), people hand them over to rescues ...and those are the lucky ones!

Rescue centres do fantastic work to nurse these often neglected rabbits back to health - both physical and mental. Many suffer health problems due to inadequate housing (the standard pet shop 3 foot hutch) making them overweight and/or with back and joint problems, overgrown toenails and sometimes shockingly overgrown teeth, causing immense pain and problems eating. Centres also dedicate time and patience to getting these bunnies to trust humans again before they are rehomed.

As you can imagine, this is a time consuming and costly process! You can help!

*Make a donation to the rabbit rehome Christmas appeal here:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donat...tmas/index.asp

*Don't buy a rabbit from a pet shop or breeder - go to a rescue centre instead! There is a list of centres (not a comprehensive list by any means!) here:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

*Please please please do not deliberately breed rabbits! Every rabbit home that is taken up by a rabbit that has been bred is denying a second chance to one of the 33,000 lucky ones - not to mention those "queueing up" on waiting lists to be allowed into a rescue centre.

*If you are going to get rabbits, please read up properly on their care and welfare before getting them. Too many rabbits are handed over because they turn out not to be the cute cuddly pets people had hoped!

And if you're still reading after all that, thank you!

Fluffy x
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
fluffy we did not deliberately breed our rabbits
we were told they were 2 sisters when we got them

but we do need to rehome the babies asap
do you know of any rescues in north wales that would take them?
or maybe you would like a couple?my daughter lives in essex too
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2005, 05:18 PM
It's ok Jackie it wasn't a pop at you don't worry It's just that now the winter is setting in, the rescues are starting to get overwhelmed with people handing their bunnies in as they don't want to have to deal with them outside over the winter

I would love more bunnies but I think the current 3 (soon to be 4) is about as many as I can cope with to ensure they all get the attention they need

Have you looked on the link to rescue centres in the above post, I'm afraid my Welsh geography is not good so I don't know where any of those ones listed in Wales are (I know where Cardiff, Swansea and Anglesey are, but that's about it I'm afraid ) If none of those are any use, I can ask on the forum and see if anyone there knows of any others, there are bound to be some. Alternatively, if you go to the main www.rabbitrehome.org.uk page, you are allowed to list them yourself. The site gets something ridiculous like 30,000 hits a month and baby rabbits often get homed quickly so you may find they get snapped up. There is also some advice on there as to how to check out potential adopters to check that they will look after your little darlings as you'd like them to be

Good luck! Fluffy x