Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2013, 05:10 PM

My dog poos when I'm out

Meg is 2 years old and has always lived in kennels previously so was not housetrained. We've been doing all the normal things, taking her out every hour, rewarding her for going outside, cleaning thoroughly to remove any scent inside the house. It keeps happening, however, not when we are there. If I go out, even for 20 minutes, she will poo in the house, even though I let her out before I leave. Is this some form of separation anxiety, a lack of training or a deep seated need for privacy? We have another dog who has no such problems. Advice would be appreciated.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2013, 06:41 PM
This could be separation anxiety but it can me quite a few things.

The problem of house training an adult dog is they are clean when we are there but don't learn how to hold it when we are not. I have had several dogs like this including Cyril, a dog I have now.

When possible I take Cyril out, preferably for a short walk if I am well enough, if not I have to take him in the garden. There is no point in putting your dog out because you don't know if she goes or not, much better to take her. I find with the dogs I have had if the go before I leave them they don't go while I am out as long I am not out for a long time.

We can't train a dog if we are not there so can't teach them to hold it when we are out. Hopefully eventually they get the idea.
Sariska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Megsy View Post
Meg is 2 years old and has always lived in kennels previously so was not housetrained. We've been doing all the normal things, taking her out every hour, rewarding her for going outside, cleaning thoroughly to remove any scent inside the house. It keeps happening, however, not when we are there. If I go out, even for 20 minutes, she will poo in the house, even though I let her out before I leave. Is this some form of separation anxiety, a lack of training or a deep seated need for privacy? We have another dog who has no such problems. Advice would be appreciated.
Hey,
It can be separation anxiety or if you said she lived in kennels previously that would be another reason.
First things what I would do is to clean places where dog poos with special cleaner or just vinegar and lemon mixture.
Another thing I would try to put her into crate while out. Normal psychic dog would never poo or pee in the place where is sleeping. By that point you would see where to go next. To the dog training lessons or vet.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sariska View Post
Hey,
It can be separation anxiety or if you said she lived in kennels previously that would be another reason.
First things what I would do is to clean places where dog poos with special cleaner or just vinegar and lemon mixture.
Another thing I would try to put her into crate while out. Normal psychic dog would never poo or pee in the place where is sleeping. By that point you would see where to go next. To the dog training lessons or vet.
Thanks. She is not crated at the moment so we'll hire one and try this.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 12:19 AM
How are things going? Hope the problem has been solved.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by Sariska View Post
Hey,
do you really believe that to cage a dog helps it to lose their Separation anxieties?

at all a dog who only had to live in kennels?

certainly she had to pee and poo there as well

just to cage everything because you are feeling uncomfortably with, I do not think, that this is a solution of the Problem

rather I would bring her to the "object", let sniff at it and say NO!
bring it out in the garden (with her), put it down there and tell her, that's there it's fine

but of course, just to cage a dog is the easier solution!
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Things haven't changed, I'm afraid. She poos at night as well. I haven't done anything about the crate but I am tempted because then she could sleep with us in our bedroom which might make her feel more secure. She is with Star (our other dog) and, otherwise, seems to have settled well. Even her recall seems to be improving. We've had to throw one carpet out. Thankfully, it was an old second hand one but I am grateful to everyone for their comments and suggestions.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
do you really believe that to cage a dog helps it to lose their Separation anxieties?

at all a dog who only had to live in kennels?

certainly she had to pee and poo there as well

just to cage everything because you are feeling uncomfortably with, I do not think, that this is a solution of the Problem

rather I would bring her to the "object", let sniff at it and say NO!
bring it out in the garden (with her), put it down there and tell her, that's there it's fine

but of course, just to cage a dog is the easier solution!
We have been doing this if she does it in front of us, and in absolutely fairness, it worked. She no longer does it in front of us. As you say, she is used to pooing and weeing in kennels wherever and whenever and she is used to someone then cleaning this up. I am tempted by the crate idea at night though because then she could sleep in my bedroom and might feel happier and also might be able to let me know if she needs to go out.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2013, 09:12 AM
I would never recommend telling a dog off for having a house training accident, as you have found it stops the dog doing it in front of you.
One of our rescues was told off for messing in a past home and it contributed to his housetraing problems as he had developed a lot of anxiety about doin his business in front of people even outdoors, this led him to do secret night poos which took a long while to crack. I believe he saved himself for night time because he felt more relaxed knowing there would be no one about for a while.
It's very frustrating for you I understand been there wrecked the carpet too! Try the crate in your bedroom, if she's more comfortable she may not mess out of anxiety and can quickly move on to just a basket or something. If she doesn't hopefully you will wake up when she starts moving about and can take her outside.
Have a look on your local free cycle for a crate, I've had some off there in the past.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I'd put her on a dog bed/duvet at the side of your bed and see how she does then. At least if she moves you can whip her outside quickly in case she really needs to go. We do this with all our own and foster dogs and never have any house training accidents unless they are ill and even then they will wake us and try to get to the outside door..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >