Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:37 PM

I feel so bad for what i've done to my baby :'(

Basically for the past 7 years she has been on two meals a day, recently i put her onto one as she either won't eat her food in the morning or i can't supervise her (her and the cat will fight).
So for the past few months she has been on one meal a day the one thing i forgot to do was increase her food again.
My poor baby has only been getting half her food a day and i was wondering why she was losing weight

Just so glad that i noticed it before she lost too much weight, i have never felt so guilty for such a stupid mistake in my life!
She has just had her full amount of food and seems much happier now
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh bless, at least you noticed and have changed it now!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm a bit lost for words...

If the cat is causing a problem at feeding time, can't you keep the cat out of the room? If I'm running late in the morning, I bang the dog food down, remove the cat, shut the door, and go and do whatever for five minutes.

I personally like to give two meals a day.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Better than what we did when we changed to dry food. Instead of splitting the amount the feeding guide said into 2 meals we were giving that amount each meal. Shadow was getting 6 cups a day, Wolf was getting 10! Wolf didn't gain a pound, Shadow on the other hand ballooned to the point he was struggling to get around. Think we overfed like that for 2-3 weeks before realising our mistake.

At least you've realised and upped her food again
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I'm a bit lost for words...

If the cat is causing a problem at feeding time, can't you keep the cat out of the room? If I'm running late in the morning, I bang the dog food down, remove the cat, shut the door, and go and do whatever for five minutes.

I personally like to give two meals a day.

The cat also needs feeding though.
I did used to supervise them whilst i had my breakfast and coffee but Millie stopped coming down for her food so i ended up taking it away before she ate it
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I am sure she will be fine now you have noticed.

One of my basenjis likes to eat slower than the others so I pop him in a crate, he feels secure and doesn't feel pressured into gobbling it down.

I used to feed one meal a day, it's personal preference really.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Jesus! I'm flabbergasted, actually!

Sorry, but how can any sensible person forget to give their dog enough food and not realise until they have actually lost weight, all the while wondering why they are losing weight? I'm shocked!

Surely just keep the dog and cat separated at feeding times? It's as simple as that, if it's to do with time in the mornings, get up 10 minutes earlier.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
The cat also needs feeding though.
I did used to supervise them whilst i had my breakfast and coffee but Millie stopped coming down for her food so i ended up taking it away before she ate it
What I do is, feed the dogs. Let them out for a wee. Go back to the kitchen, feed the cat, come out and shut the door. That way, the cat isn't nervous, nor is it trying to steal the dog's food!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I used to feed one meal a day, it's personal preference really.
Or the dogs preference. I've had 2 now who didn't want breakfast. Rupert will eat 1 very small meal in the early evening and then another larger meal just before bed now but it's only recently he's started eating twice a day.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Not going to join in the people having a go cos you feel crud enough already.

I've got a dog who will love to get his jaws around the cat's food... so the cat's food is kept behind the kitchen door, blocked in with a table so you can open the door fully and stop him getting to it completely - we tie the door so it'll only open to a cat-sized gap... woof doesn't get to eat it, cat gets to eat without having a slobbery drooly face watching and offering to take it all off her hands - it's not aesthetically amazing as a solution but it seems to work well enough.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »