Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:34 PM

Question from US member-

I like this site, but I must admit- I get lost alot... Our terms are different, our titles are different- our lingo is different, so when I read the show threads, I get lost. We also do not have some of the breeds mentioned here as well, causing me to have to look it up.
I believe I have some things to contribute here- but if someone would take the time to explain some of the termonolgy that is different that would help. ..
Examples-
First in class- is just that- then it progresses to winners ring, with ones of the same sex in the ring- to become "winners bitch/dog". That means the dog won their class and beat the others of their sex.
Then we progress to the final breed ring. The champions ( dog or bitch) are in there- , the top "winners bitch and dog are there- .. There are then 3 awards- BOB ( best of breed), BOS ( best of opposite sex- so if the BOBis a male, BOS is a bitch), then BOW- that means if the winners dog/bitch did not take the the BOB or BOS, the best of the two 'winners dog/bitch" becomes the BOW = ( best of winners)..
Now please translate-
* what is the winner of their class called?
* what is a best of winners called?
etc..
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Sorry I can't help, I don't show, but it must be very frustrating for you, isant it funny that we speek the same language, yet we still find it difficult to communicate at times but at the end of the day we all love our dogs on hear, where ever we're from
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
I like this site, but I must admit- I get lost alot... Our terms are different, our titles are different- our lingo is different, so when I read the show threads, I get lost. We also do not have some of the breeds mentioned here as well, causing me to have to look it up.
I believe I have some things to contribute here- but if someone would take the time to explain some of the termonolgy that is different that would help. ..
Examples-
First in class- is just that- then it progresses to winners ring, with ones of the same sex in the ring- to become "winners bitch/dog". That means the dog won their class and beat the others of their sex.
Then we progress to the final breed ring. The champions ( dog or bitch) are in there- , the top "winners bitch and dog are there- .. There are then 3 awards- BOB ( best of breed), BOS ( best of opposite sex- so if the BOBis a male, BOS is a bitch), then BOW- that means if the winners dog/bitch did not take the the BOB or BOS, the best of the two 'winners dog/bitch" becomes the BOW = ( best of winners)..
Now please translate-
* what is the winner of their class called?
* what is a best of winners called?
etc..
We don't have Champions classes here in the UK. Champions compete in the Open class alongside other non Champions. By the time a dog progresses to the Open class it has usually done alot of winning anyway and has often already got one or maybe two Callenge Certificates (CCs) Therefor we don't have Best of Winners, just Best of Breed and Best opposite sex.

So a class winner is the same as yours, then all the class winners compete for the CC. Then the dog CC winner will callenge the bitch CC winner for Best of Breed and a chance to compete in the group.

A dog needs to win a minimum of 3 CCs to become a Champion.

Dawn R.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 06:36 PM
In Ireland we have Champions and veteran classes within the breed classes under IKC rules and the sexes are separate so all dog classes first, then bitches like in the UK. Nearly all the classes have a different description to those in the UK. There is a Green Star for Best Dog and one for Best Bitch, then they go head to head for Best of Breed. After that, it is the group competition (ten groups) then those ten winners go up for Best in Show.
You need 7 Green Stars under different judges to become an Irish champion. For International, you need 4 CACIBs which for Irish residents you can do all in Ireland at the International shows - there are five a year - but if resident elsewhere, only 3 will count from Ireland. Your dog also has to be a Champion under the National rules before it can be an International Champion. International shows award Green Stars and CACIBs at the same time, unless the dog is under 15 months in which case it is ineligible for the CACIB but can get the Green Star.
More complications - each dog is graded and only those achieving the top grade can be considered for best dog or bitch (and reserve).
Phew! Time for a lie down, I think
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
We don't have Champions classes here in the UK. Champions compete in the Open class alongside other non Champions. By the time a dog progresses to the Open class it has usually done alot of winning anyway and has often already got one or maybe two Callenge Certificates (CCs) Therefor we don't have Best of Winners, just Best of Breed and Best opposite sex.

So a class winner is the same as yours, then all the class winners compete for the CC. Then the dog CC winner will callenge the bitch CC winner for Best of Breed and a chance to compete in the group.

A dog needs to win a minimum of 3 CCs to become a Champion.

Dawn R.
What is a CC??? See here- in order to progress, they had to have beaten their class, their sex, and even their breed others with out "specials-" ( this is a verb that means the dog is already finished but continueing to show for rankings in the AKC. ) Westminster only invites the top 25 of each breed to compete- the reason the champions continue to show..
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
In Ireland we have Champions and veteran classes within the breed classes under IKC rules and the sexes are separate so all dog classes first, then bitches like in the UK. Nearly all the classes have a different description to those in the UK. There is a Green Star for Best Dog and one for Best Bitch, then they go head to head for Best of Breed. After that, it is the group competition (ten groups) then those ten winners go up for Best in Show.
You need 7 Green Stars under different judges to become an Irish champion. For International, you need 4 CACIBs which for Irish residents you can do all in Ireland at the International shows - there are five a year - but if resident elsewhere, only 3 will count from Ireland. Your dog also has to be a Champion under the National rules before it can be an International Champion. International shows award Green Stars and CACIBs at the same time, unless the dog is under 15 months in which case it is ineligible for the CACIB but can get the Green Star.
More complications - each dog is graded and only those achieving the top grade can be considered for best dog or bitch (and reserve).
Phew! Time for a lie down, I think
Sorry you had to lay down.. I think I am starting to understand a little. Like here they have to have 2 "majors" and single points of a total of 15 points. ( breathe-) soooo that means if a dog takes the top 3 spots, and there were enough dogs, to make a major.. So- to get a major is like a "CC"???
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:06 PM
What is a CC??? See here- in order to progress, they had to have beaten their class, their sex, and even their breed others with out "specials-" ( this is a verb that means the dog is already finished but continueing to show for rankings in the AKC. ) Westminster only invites the top 25 of each breed to compete- the reason the champions continue to show..
Sorry - i'm not too up on the requirements it takes to make a dog a champion in the states, but hopefully this might make it a bit clearer how CC's work over here.

A CC (Challenge Certificate) is effectively a third of your way to becoming a Champion. Over here you need 3 CC's (awarded by 3 different judges) to be made up to a Champion. In most cases there are two CC's on offer - one for dogs and once for bitches, so the best dog and best bitch receive these awards. In some cases, only a single CC is on offer and this goes to the best of breed.

I hope this makes some sense?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
What is a CC???
A CC is a Challenge Certificate. A CC is awarded to Best of Sex.

The two Best of Sex winners compete against eachother for Best of Breed.

Dawn R.
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
A CC is a Challenge Certificate. A CC is awarded to Best of Sex.

The two Best of Sex winners compete against eachother for Best of Breed.

Dawn R.
So- a CC is Winners dog/bitch? LIke Zubin has 3 Winners dog- and 2 Best of winners ( meaning over the bitch winners bitch), and Galina has 3 winners bitch, and 1 Best of winners over a dog ( not zubin.. lol.. )
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:23 PM
You got it! :smt023

Dawn R.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >