Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Although cereal is a common problem for dogs to digest because of low levels of the enzyme amylase,I don't think cereal is the problem for Harvey as he had a reaction to Orijen which is cereal free.

His problem could be a lack of enzyme needed to digest protein.
He may not be producing enough HCL acid.

The digestive system is linked to the immune system and if there is not enough digestive enzymes produces they are taken from the immune system.

This has the knock on effect of weakening the immune system causing various problems including hot spots.

Cooking may not be as nutritious but it will help start the digesting process.

Just another thought to throw in the mix.
I am wondering if my boy may appear to have a compromised immune system so this would be something to try with him? Not sure he will be up for it

I have also read that proteins and the type of proteins can be the main issue with allergies etc, mainly meat proteins. So although adverse effects can come around through grains/carbs in general, an effect that would cause major problems is likely to be down to an animal protein. I can't actually remember where I got that from.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Well folks here we are, another day on elimination home cooked diet and things are soooooo much better, all the red skin has gone and the deep pink is fast receding It is a vast vast improvement.

Tonight he had potato, long green beans and chopped chicken

Was round in the local shop this afternoon and to my amazement they had sweet potato so got some to prepare and cook I need to get out to do a supermarket trip but will have to wait until I feel a bit better

I think I will keep him on this type of diet for about a fortnight and then start to slowly introduce different ingredients to see what he reacts to

It is interesting that he has been having wheaten bread (roughage) either toasted or mixed with sardines for breakfast (cereals) and has had no reaction. I have always thought he was sensitive to cereals so I have learned something there.
Thats great news. I think you have the right idea here. It might be worth keeping a log, so that when you introduce new foods etc you can look back at exactly what foods he has had and eliminate things a bit easier
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Exactly my point, malfunction due perhaps to poor breeding, recessive genes, hereditary conditions etc.

EXCELLENT post.
Thank you for that.

Yes there is a whole pool of possibilities plus an exhausted enzyme system due to incorrect diet.

Unfortunately an owner doesn't see what is simmering underneath until it raises it's ugly head.

Without the expense of tests one can try to find the common denominator and one may just get lucky.

Fingers crossed for Helen and Harvey.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I am wondering if my boy may appear to have a compromised immune system so this would be something to try with him? Not sure he will be up for it

I have also read that proteins and the type of proteins can be the main issue with allergies etc, mainly meat proteins. So although adverse effects can come around through grains/carbs in general, an effect that would cause major problems is likely to be down to an animal protein. I can't actually remember where I got that from.
For sure it is a strong possibility.
Enzymes are everything to utilizing nutrients and from food passing through the digestive system. They are like an orchestra playing in harmony but if they are out of kilter something has got to give.

Although there is a certain amount of enzymes in food and they get damaged by cooking the body will produce enough to compensate but if the enzymes in the body are poorly balanced they have difficulty even with raw food.

There are quite a few different enzymes but if the pancreas is not producing enough the digestive system draws its needs from elsewhere and this is when the immune system is compromised.

This may be your problem I couldn't say for sure but it is a consideration if you want to look into it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
For sure it is a strong possibility.
Enzymes are everything to utilizing nutrients and from food passing through the digestive system. They are like an orchestra playing in harmony but if they are out of kilter something has got to give.

Although there is a certain amount of enzymes in food and they get damaged by cooking the body will produce enough to compensate but if the enzymes in the body are poorly balanced they have difficulty even with raw food.

There are quite a few different enzymes but if the pancreas is not producing enough the digestive system draws its needs from elsewhere and this is when the immune system is compromised.

This may be your problem I couldn't say for sure but it is a consideration if you want to look into it.
If this was to be the issue or part of it would it help to feed pancreas more do you think?
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:10 PM
If this was to be the issue or part of it would it help to feed pancreas more do you think?
Pardon Doberman-what do you mean!
Do you mean feed the the pancreas of an animal to your dog?
If you mean that then no.

I mean the pancreas needs supporting because the production of an enzyme is exhausted.

I don't want to get too scientific but there is a process in which enzymes develop at different stages of digestion.

An example in protein digestion -HCL acid is combined with an enzyme that produces the enzyme protose (I think that's the right spelling)this protein then breaks down protein for digesting.

This is only example but if you think it is a protein issue the same tip to Helen may help.

There are tests you can have done to find out if this tip doesn't help.

Good Luck.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Pardon Doberman-what do you mean!
Do you mean feed the the pancreas of an animal to your dog?
If you mean that then no.

I mean the pancreas needs supporting because the production of an enzyme is exhausted.

I don't want to get too scientific but there is a process in which enzymes develop at different stages of digestion.

An example in protein digestion -HCL acid is combined with an enzyme that produces the enzyme protose (I think that's the right spelling)this protein then breaks down protein for digesting.

This is only example but if you think it is a protein issue the same tip to Helen may help.

There are tests you can have done to find out if this tip doesn't help.

Good Luck.
yes, thats what I meant so thanks for clearing that up
I am going to try adding cider vinegar to chicken mince with next order, can but try
do you know what these tests are called please?

It may not be this but I will try adding the cider vinegar anyway as I doubt it will cause any harm.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
yes, thats what I meant so thanks for clearing that up
I am going to try adding cider vinegar to chicken mince with next order, can but try
do you know what these tests are called please?

It may not be this but I will try adding the cider vinegar anyway as I doubt it will cause any harm.
ACV (apple cider vinegar) is very pungent, you may like to try the capsules instead, you can buy them from likes of Holland & Barratt. I used to put it in drinking water when Katie had so much cystitis before we discovered she had renal disease.

Thankfully hotspots are a thing of the past from I gave up feeding raw
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
ACV (apple cider vinegar) is very pungent, you may like to try the capsules instead, you can buy them from likes of Holland & Barratt. I used to put it in drinking water when Katie had so much cystitis before we discovered she had renal disease.

Thankfully hotspots are a thing of the past from I gave up feeding raw
thank you for the suggestion I will get the capsules.
I'm really glad your making progress with your boy, its bound to be such a relief.

Not sure if this is any help to you or not but thought it worth noting the posts and suggestions here for you too, notably Smokeybears post here; http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...94#post2365594

As I said, not sure if you will find it helpful as its a different situation, but its natural sources and also the supplements can be fed in addition to cooked or kibble. I realise you are doing elimination diet at the moment but I was thinking for the future/longterm...

Thanks again for the suggestion of capsules.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Well tonight the boy had potato and sweet potato, both with skins on (roughage), long green beans, chicken and some stock where I had cooked some mince earlier. He must approve as even before I had set it down he had sat & given me a high. Five with a lot of excited squeaks

I meant to cook some eggs today but was late home so will do that tomorrow, the d get raw eggs but not regularly

I must admit I am finding this thread interesting, although changed from the original about food recipes, it gives any new readers the chance to see the background and read on the problems that some of have had/are having

Another interesting result is his tear staining which is much diminished as well
Page 11 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »