Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Nowhere to go on walks

Well I'm sure there is but I'm really miffed today!!
I'm avoiding the farm opposite because it's not actually been farmed this year as they are making a lovely sewage plant on part of it & the farm land where they grow wheat & corn has been left so is around 4ft high, full of bloomin grass seeds & you can hardly get up the bridle paths.
So I've been going to the nice "just grass" watership down style playing fields - until today when the travellers arrived, smashed down the gate & set up home in their caravans.
SNOT FAIR!!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Oh noes!
What a bummer
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Can you drive? I always take my dogs out in the car, sometimes 20 miles away even during the week so they get interesting runs.

Travellers often camp up on playing fields etc round here and I avoid those areas like the plague.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes I've just had my early morning walks disrupted by travellers on the local recreation ground. I usually go about 5.15 a.m. & was totally taken by surprise to find nearly half the park covered by caravans & assorted motley vehicles one morning. I did my normal walk but came across 2 JRTs sleeping in an open rabbit hutch. They immediately ran at us barking till they got jerked back by the rope tied round their necks. Then a lurcher type came rushing over barking. Luckily my 2 just stared at it & it got spooked & ran off.

I went to another park for the rest of the week's early walks, mostly so that I didn't disturb the poor dogs tied up to caravans, (but it's not the same for Wilma as squireels are far less fun to chase than rabbits). But I saw that today the travellers have gone so back to normal.

I also drive a fair distance to vary my dogs' walks. We go to Ashdown Forest & woods near Arundel, both a good 40 min drive, usually at weekends. But I'm lucky in that I have the sea, a river & the South Downs all within easy reach.

Don't despair ~ hopefully the travellers will soon be moved on.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Yes I do drive & I do her different places sometimes, it's just spoilt my week day routine, there's about 30 caravans there. I did brave the farm walk today & prayed for no grass seeds, luckily we managed to avoid them!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh, that sounds terrible! I live right next to a park, so thankfully have no problems.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Oh, that sounds terrible! I live right next to a park, so thankfully have no problems.
I've never known them be there before & I don't know how long it takes before the council moves them on - not sure anybody will be walking their dogs there at the moment, it's very popular for dogs, football training & kids.
I thought they had designated places for travellers to go now.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I've never known them be there before & I don't know how long it takes before the council moves them on - not sure anybody will be walking their dogs there at the moment, it's very popular for dogs, football training & kids.
I thought they had designated places for travellers to go now.
Most Councils are obliged to provide sites for travellers but many don't want to use them.

The travellers on my local park were there for less than a week so hopefully the ones in your park will be short-lived too. The park near me is right next to the Dogs TrUst kennels & they had a few problems with the travellers. One of them was taking potshots at the ducks on the pond & when told to stop by DT staff, a whole bunch of them turned up in minutes swinging bicycle chains, staring & being very intimidating. Despite the fact the police were called, they didn;t show up. But the next morning about 30 to 40 council officials turned up & the travellers were moved on. But you should see he mess they've left behind. It's absolutely disgusting!! And that's without all the garden rubbish that they've flytipped in the park!
MXG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:36 AM
If the route you take round the fields with the long grass are public footpaths then ring the council and they should come out and cut it all down. We have the same problem every year here and every year it takes a phone call to the council! That said, you can bet your life that the grass is then all down within a couple of days!!
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-07-2010, 09:16 AM
By the sound of it you are having no luck...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >