View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 08:47 PM
My horse had a colic op for a twisted gut, but luckily I wasn't there, I left them to it! He survived even though the vets said it was the most dangerous op he could ever go through, and I was very lucky to get him back, thanks to them.

Lol Yes, I do Rips, I meant the Presa! I get all mixed up with Presa's, I keep thinking Cana Corsa (? something like that?) for some reason.... where did i get that from them? Oh dear, not another Senior moment! I'll get thrown out of here soon the way I'm going! Anyway, you're probably right and it was a BM!
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Looked on website, they did a PM on Harry the Horse to find he had Colitis X
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2006, 02:03 PM
awwwww, well done Sweep. Then it's feasable that they couldn't have done any more apart from the antibiotics then,poor horse. At least with colic from a twisted gut, they can unravel the twist in the intestines.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
This was what was said............
Findings
A post-mortem examination was carried out later that day. It confirmed there was no twisted gut. Harry had had a severe inflammation of his large intestines called Colitis X (so called because the veterinary profession is not entirely clear what causes this condition). A high percentage of horses diagnosed with this condition are put to sleep, as Harry was, because it is not fair to let them suffer through such pain.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Sweep
This was what was said............
Findings
A post-mortem examination was carried out later that day. It confirmed there was no twisted gut. Harry had had a severe inflammation of his large intestines called Colitis X (so called because the veterinary profession is not entirely clear what causes this condition). A high percentage of horses diagnosed with this condition are put to sleep, as Harry was, because it is not fair to let them suffer through such pain.
There you go then Sweep, "put to sleep" they should have known that and put the poor horse out of his misery and not let him die in so much agony imo I have known horses that have been taken to my vets with severe colic and sometimes the vets just don't bother with anything, they go in the back end to see if it's a twist, and if not, sometimes they just put them to sleep there and then coz it's absolute agony for the horse. They are in a muck sweat like mine was, pawing at the ground and rolling on the floor in agony, and most vets would take the option of putting them out of their misery there and then I feel.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Also said when he was bought in he had been showing signs of Abdominal pain for 36 hrs, that's a long time!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow, that's a very long time. I rang my vet at 6.30 am. when I got up to my horse and saw him in that state, and the vet came immediately and we got him off to the hospital straight away, and that's probably why we saved him. That horse should never have been left for that long, she should have realised he had colic!! She must have been up to feed/bed him down in a 36hr. period so would have noticed he wasn't right. Maybe she wasn't very experienced with horses and didn't think it warranted calling the vet out. Poor horse
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3