Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 05:30 PM
hello elaine
border collies , hey ,i tell you what ,why dont you contact ,wicceways (not sure if its all ready been mentioned ) they will soon know what to do . i think they do work shops ,understanding your collie ,all what you have mentioned ,is very much ,the border collie .they are exellent ,they will ansew all your questions . know just how you feel ,we had all that with our dylan ,dylan is a really big collie to control even at poppys age ,he got over it all though ,he is a lovely boy know have a look on there website ,good luck ,dont stress you will get past all this
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i dont think she is agressive shes just got a collie nip reflex born out of misunderstanding & frustratioon. IF this is dealt with as agression then the likely hood is she will end up agressive.

Barbara sykes would be a great point of call, even her book is brill

Yes I suspect you are right re the nip reflex, I'm being cautious

I don't understand the second bit though - do you mean she may end up aggressive out of frustration? No good aggression treatment should make a dog aggressive, even if it isn't, hence me not getting what you are meaning? I can only think you mean if she was kept away or on lead or something ... but that wouldn't be part of the deal for a working bred collie anyway (not in my book at least) as the dog should be at least playing and learning with toys etc; instinct has to be fulfiilled as it's a welfare issue

Wys
x
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 05:44 PM
elaine for got to mention ,we got dylan a ball on a rope ,allso when we got willow ,she had few problems ,whilst out ,the ball on the rope ,they both love it ,when that comes out ,nothink else matters ,they love it ,you could try playing in the house with it ,get her to get all excited when she see it x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes I suspect you are right re the nip reflex, I'm being cautious

I don't understand the second bit though - do you mean she may end up aggressive out of frustration? No good aggression treatment should make a dog aggressive, even if it isn't, hence me not getting what you are meaning? I can only think you mean if she was kept away or on lead or something ... but that wouldn't be part of the deal for a working bred collie anyway (not in my book at least) as the dog should be at least playing and learning with toys etc; instinct has to be fulfiilled as it's a welfare issue

Wys
x

Yes thats what im meaning, ive seen it too many times with the collies to be honest a dog been misread & ending up quite nasty because they are misunderstood.Though it shouldnt happen it does!

No she should def NOT be kept on the lead, infact the more off lead the better focasing her attentions on herding her toy!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
hello elaine
border collies , hey ,i tell you what ,why dont you contact ,wicceways (not sure if its all ready been mentioned ) they will soon know what to do . i think they do work shops ,understanding your collie ,all what you have mentioned ,is very much ,the border collie .they are exellent ,they will ansew all your questions . know just how you feel ,we had all that with our dylan ,dylan is a really big collie to control even at poppys age ,he got over it all though ,he is a lovely boy know have a look on there website ,good luck ,dont stress you will get past all this

I am sorry QW but I don't accept that this is *normal* border collie behaviour. I do think it is accepted as collie behaviour these days in pet circles, when so many collies are kept as frustrated pets Without actually seeing Poppy, it is difficult to say for sure, but it does sound to me as though she is a frustrated worker, and therefore needs jobs to be given to expend this pent up energy. OK, not everyone can work their collie on sheep, but anyone who decides to own a collie has to work out (preferably well in advance) what sort of *work* they can do with their collie to keep it happy, stimulated and properly exercised.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 08:35 PM
i havent seen poppy moobli
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 08:53 PM
mine are pets , mine love a ball on a rope ,moobli ,so they have a great time ,in the park and on long walks . mine are very much ,kept busy ,they are out and about , and do use there energy ,running with the ball on a rope . poppy is allso a pet ,so im just suggesting ,that she might just ,like one too ,to keep her busy . mine are deff not fustrated in any way ,i keep them both busy and active there are loads of collies , that live quite happy lives ,in pets homes .

dylan and willow ,are in like you say ,pet home ,im sure there are ,lots of other collie on this site liveing in pet homes ,and lives happy and full filled lifes . the work shops on wiccaweys ,i brought up as i thought it might be of some help as dylan is a wiccs boy .

like you say ,not all collies can heard sheep
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry QW I wasn't being funny, and I know plenty of collies living quite happily in pet homes. My point was that I don't think unprovoked nipping etc is *normal* collie behaviour.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I think I can see what QW is saying. However I can also see what Moobli is say too.

Can I just say I have seen Poppy......a little darling she is too, but she is (IMO) from working stock so I have already said to Elaine (on pm) that she will have to be worked different to the Border Collie with no instinct.

Poppy wants to work and the nipping (again IMO) is a away of Poppy saying ''Im boss do as your told'' We have this with Skye and she will be three in June, Skye has to do jobs around the place....when I say has to, it is in her nature. I think Elaine understood what I meant and hopefully with the right training Poppy can work this out and be stimulated in the right channels.

Also, I have spoken to where Poppy came from and three of her sibling have exactly the same trait, all are going to training, two have come on nicely, only the other is ''still alittle full on'' but is showing improvement.

I wish Elaine all the best and hopefully she knows where we all are.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sorry QW I wasn't being funny, and I know plenty of collies living quite happily in pet homes. My point was that I don't think unprovoked nipping etc is *normal* collie behaviour.
But its not unprovoked is it, from her point of view, & just shows her frustration to me.

My nellie has a HUGE nip reflex, ive actually put her on sheep , id say she had a slightly above medium herding type,but not very eyey, however she does nip (when i say nip i mean the air or other dogs, or the air around them) if she wants her toys to move or the other dogs to move, or if john stands on her ( men!), shes half working lines half show lines

Flynn has absolutly no herding traits or nip reflex, hes part isds 2 generations back.

Mav is quite herdy , with the other dogs but not with other things, he nips the air when herding them, his isds is off the 6 gen. hes the only dog of mine that has ever shown a interest in car wheels which i stopped in three days & then tredded very carefully for a month, & is the only one interested in the hoover & lawn mower, so i dont allow him to play with that.

Imo poppy just needs some instruction on what is acceptable & some training to keep her thinking & interested!!!!!

im sure focasing her attention/ herding onto something
Page 8 of 18 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »