View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Mine were just a few weeks apart in age, they got on great until about 3 years old (I'm talking terriers here) that's when they started fighting. I'm not saying don't get another dog, I'm suggesting that getting a bitch terrier may cause a few problems.
Becky
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Most rescues will ask for a donation of £100 upwards and when you consider that Wiccaweys dogs are all spayed or neutered before homing where possible at around £80-£100, they are also fully vaccinated at around £30 and Microchipped approximately £20 and of course are fed, wormed and flea treated, when you add it up most rescues operate at a loss and that is with local vets doing rescue rates for them.

If rescues didn't do all of this then many people would lable them as not being a 'good' rescue, it seems you cant win.

Good luck in your hunt for a puppy, Im sure you jrt would love a new friend of some sort.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

18-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
Plus they ask for a £130 donation. At this cost we may as well just buy another JRT puppy.

Anyone know of any good rescue centres in my area (West Midlands) We ideally want a small dog, already neutered/spayed and fairly young so that they can grow up together.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
So you buy another JR but then you'll still have to pay for spey, shots, worming etc! I dont understand why a dog from rescue should be cheap! These dogs are cared for, fed, assessed (certainly in Wiccaweys case), many will have had medical treatment, some extremely expensive. The price you pay a rescue is not just for the little bundle of fluff you are getting but to also help others in the future. I have never resented any of the donations Ive given for mine, they are worth every penny and more.

Oh and yes I know an excellent rescue - Wiccaweys, also many rescues have dog in foster homes which could also be near you.

Good luck in your search but please do not expect a cheap dog from a rescue, they need all the money they can get.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
So you buy another JR but then you'll still have to pay for spey, shots, worming etc! I dont understand why a dog from rescue should be cheap! These dogs are cared for, fed, assessed (certainly in Wiccaweys case), many will have had medical treatment, some extremely expensive. The price you pay a rescue is not just for the little bundle of fluff you are getting but to also help others in the future. I have never resented any of the donations Ive given for mine, they are worth every penny and more.

Oh and yes I know an excellent rescue - Wiccaweys, also many rescues have dog in foster homes which could also be near you.

Good luck in your search but please do not expect a cheap dog from a rescue, they need all the money they can get.
Excellent post, took the words right out of my mouth
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2007, 12:17 PM

I certaintly wouldnt resent paying a donation for a resuce, the point i was trying to make is that i may as well get another jrt puppy that would not come with any issues that a rescue dog may bring. Im not saying that all rescues have issues but getting a puppy would allow us to bring it up how we would like to. Also Minnie cost us £300 so when you take that into consideration.....
spot
Dogsey Veteran

18-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
I certaintly wouldnt resent paying a donation for a resuce, the point i was trying to make is that i may as well get another jrt puppy that would not come with any issues that a rescue dog may bring. Im not saying that all rescues have issues but getting a puppy would allow us to bring it up how we would like to. Also Minnie cost us £300 so when you take that into consideration.....
But as one of the best rescues around Wiccaweys would certainly make you aware of any issues that the dog would have thats one of the reasons you pay a donation for such a high standard rescue.

You also said you didnt want another puppy and Im not sure of your point that you paid £300 for a cross, presumably from a rescue but consider £130 too much for another rescue?
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2007, 01:05 PM
But as one of the best rescues around Wiccaweys would certainly make you aware of any issues that the dog would have thats one of the reasons you pay a donation for such a high standard rescue.

You also said you didnt want another puppy and Im not sure of your point that you paid £300 for a cross, presumably from a rescue but consider £130 too much for another rescue?

I dont want to get into a slanging match, that was not the purpose of this thread.

I recognise wiccaweys as a good rescue and yes the donation is appropriate just not for me.

Minnie was bought at 7 and a half weeks of age she wasnt a rescue.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 02:12 PM
On the list of rescues linked to here on rescue section is animal alsorts who are based in Birmingham, they are always rehoming dogs & may ne able to help you with just what you need. If you can't find their details PM me & I'll send them to you.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2