Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Season affecting other dog's behaviour?

Hi, following on from my question further down the page, I was just wondering if Myrtle coming in to season could be the reason why my other dog, Dan (neutered, 4 1/2 yrs) has suddenly - and I mean suddenly - reverted back to the behaviour that we had all but eradicated 2 yrs ago? He is a rescue and when we got him he had no recall and would run out of the park to rummage through gardens and bins. Since then I have got his recall 99% in the park and he is perfect at agility training. The last 7 or 8 days, since Myrtle has been on the verge of her season, he has reverted to running full speed out of the park, looking at me as he goes... I always find him dragging rubbish out of wheelie bins, or bin bags. He is doing this 3 or 4 times during a 45 min walk.
Am I just making excuses for him in thinking that Myrtle's season is affecting him? He has been around bitches in season before and hasn't even sniffed their bottoms!
Jo
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 12:09 PM
All I can tell you is the first time my bitch came into season my old neutered dog took no notice though she virtually raped him, but the second time his behaviour altered completely & he became far less obedient & really possessive of her & was totally depressed when she went away to be mated, so I'd say it was perfectly possible
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Spencers a nightmare and so was Woody, Dice has been used at stud so we had to send him to mums when it got nearer ovulation time. In the end I had to move Woody to another home everytime one of the girls was coming in he got really aggresive.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I'd say so.............my friend has just experienced the exact same thing, she has a bitch coming into 1st season, and a 10 year old neautered male who is extremely obedient...knock spots off any dog honest....suddenly he is playing up when over the fields.... she rang me the other night becuase he has never behaved like this and she was so 'gob smacked', I told her the same thing as others have said.....most likely the season thing.