Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:25 PM

I was caught in an Armed Robbery

Well 2007 has got off to a good start for me. I was today held with a broken bottle at my throat while the Tesco garage I work in was robbed.
Lad approx 20 years old come in with his head covered in a bin liner and told us to open the tills. We tried to push him out but he pulled out a broken bottle with a long sharp pointed peice on it and waved it towards us. I went to hit the panic button but he saw me and held it at my throat to stop me and demanded my manager opened the till. Luckily we had only just done a till lift so he only got about £60. I managed to get away from him and get customers out to safety, he then legged it and we hit the panic button. Security ran over and gave chase to him but lost him. Police were quickly on the scene, doing fingerprints while I served the waiting customers before closing the garage.
I then had to go with security and watch the cctv footage to identify him and security knew him as he was on thier database after being banned.
The police have been round to arrest him but couldn't get an answer so presume he was out, but said sooner or later he would be spotted and caught, but they couldn't go bashing his door down in case he wasn't in. Surely in an armed robbery they can, I mean he is hardly going to open the door and say welcome is he.
I can't get over his nerve it was 9.15am on a Sat morning when he came in, broad daylight and everywhere busy.
Had to reopen garage to customers about 11am and then i think the shock hit a bit as I was very shaky, but managed to work through till the end of my shift at 3.30 and was feeling better by then.
Tesco have rung me this evening to check I am ok and they have also offered councelling if I want it, but I don't think that will be necessary.
There are a lot of security flaws that have shown up though that I will be taking up with them for the safety of everyone working there.
Well hopefully the year can only get better now.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2007, 09:31 PM
well they should have let you go home there and then without loss of earnings.
health and saftey at work......they should have the correct security in place for such an event from happening.
a panic button is ok but maybe they need more under the conter so you can still get to them, i hope your ok.
i hope tesco takes it extremely serious and put things in place to cut down the risk.
take care of yourself you could still get delayed shock.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:34 PM
They did ask if I wanted to go home after it happened, but i said no as even though, yes I was shaken up, I don't believe in letting these scumbags win and ruin my life and I felt if I didn't get on and work then I may be too scared to go in tomorrow too.
Bit like falling off a horse, you need to get right back on or lose your nerve completely.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:39 PM
big hugs to you. You are a brave lady.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:40 PM
What a Day!!! Hope you feel better soon hun***hugs***
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

i know what you mean and good for you, but take care of yourself.
which ever way you look at it youv'e had a nasty experience today.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Poor you that must have been terrifying Hope your feeling ok now.

Perhaps the silly sod suffocated in His Bin liner
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I hope you are feeling ok. Don't dismiss the offer of
councelling to quickly. It does help to talk these things through, but then we are all here so that helps.
Take care.
x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow, what a horrible thing to go through, you are much braver than I would have been, I wouldn't have had the gumption to fight back, I would have turned into a wimp, I'm sure.

I hope that the shock has come out and won't be delayed, if you feel bad at any time it would be wise to see the counsellor, thats what they are there for, after all.

Lets hope the stupid lad that did it gets his come uppance, it's bad enough stealing in the first place but what if he'd picked on someone with a dodgy heart?

Full credit to you, you're a hero.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:02 PM
OMG! How awful. Delighted you are ok. Big hug hon xox
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >