Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Pup prices.

Do you think breeders with websites should post pup prices ..
If a normal member of the british public looks at a site and thinks ''they must be expensive they do not show prices '' so goes and looks at the known dog selling pages which show prices clearly...
I have always had an issue asking prices ..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I know what you mean Murf. I think it would be a good idea for breeders to post pup prices, so then you know what to expect. I am another one who hates asking the price of the pups and always make sure it isn't the first question I ask, as I know that is frowned upon. But actually, knowing the price is pretty darned important.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Some of the breed clubs give you a guide line to what you will be looking to pay give or take a few pounds either way. The Bernese club do anyway.

I think its useful to have a guide line so you kow roughly what you will be expected to pay.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:28 PM
As mentioned if you do some research on average prices in your chosen breed, assuming you are going to a reputable breeder, you should have a good idea of what to expect.

It wouldn't bother me whether price was advertised or not. The breeder would likely talk about price when you are corresponding if they don't directly advertise it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2011, 07:53 PM
It doesn't bother me tbh I always know roughly what I expect to pay by researching and I'd pay over the odds for the right pup anyway. I just slip the question in at the end of the conversation and once you get chatting it's usually the last thing on my mind anyway.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I see where you are coming from, talking about money can be a bit awkward sometimes. I wouldn't have a problem with then being put on a site, but if they do their research (which we know a lot of people don't) they would find the guideline prices anyway.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2011, 07:58 PM
But would a general member of the public just look elsewhere rather than ask or just assume they will be out of their price range ...

In the states it seems to be the norm...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2011, 08:05 PM
They can always look them up on champ dogs and look back at their previous litters to get an idea of price. If there's no info on there and they can't face a phone call just send them a few emails asking about their litter or upcoming litters and slip the question in about the third email.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I've seen breeders on forums say that if someone asked them the price of the pups at any point then they wouldn't even consider selling them a pup It certainly wouldn't be the first thing on my mind but I would definitely need to know how much buying the pup would cost me!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've seen breeders on forums say that if someone asked them the price of the pups at any point then they wouldn't even consider selling them a pup It certainly wouldn't be the first thing on my mind but I would definitely need to know how much buying the pup would cost me!
That is really naive on there part ...
If i am going to a new restaurant I want an idea of what the bill is going to be before i sit down ..lol
Can you imagine falling in love with a pup only to find out it was out your price range ..
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »