Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
That's because ultimately you can't! You can do all the checks, vet reference, personal reference, homecheck but ultimately someone could lie through their teeth and be lovely to your face to get what they want.

There are no guarantees, so as a rescue we have to cover the options. Or that's my take on it anyway. I have had people tell me stuff been totally believable and when I have done a bit more research turns out they have completely lied, in one instance I didn't find out til too late, and the dog was already with them, I did however manage to get dig back and she is now in a wonderful home.

People seem to think that there are all these amazing homes out there for all these dogs sadly that's not the case. You get a 5 star home once every few months, the rest are ones where compromises have to be made.
Thank you---I know that and you know that but it seems other people think that rescues should be infallable!

I have had people I thought would be great homes and they have turned out to be awful and returned dogs and then I have home checked others and been doubtful for no good reasons really and they have turned out to be great homes. You never can tell.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Can anyone answer the question I asked Jodee? Obviously it is a problem question!

Everyone is great at jumping on the rescues who are very specific in their requirements for new owners.

No one has yet put forward a way of checking that the new owners will be responsible----or that the new owners might have an entire dog of their own who is used all over the neighbourhood. (that can and has happened---luckily Cornwall is a parochial county and people are likely to know about a lot of things!).

rune
So because I own, show and breed (last one is currently hypothetical) responsibly I shouldn't be allowed a rescue dog? And therefore in your mind anyone who breeds is automatically adding to the rescue population?

You keep saying that by having strict requirements/blanket policies you're keeping the dogs safe, but in the same breath you again say people will lie through their back teeth to get what they want so surely blanket policies will fail regardless? What's to stop someone rescuing a dog from somewhere and then moving house a couple of months later and acquiring an entire dog from elsewhere? How can any of the rescue organisations be sure that the dog they re homed isn't being abused and beaten everyday by the "lovely" owner they found for them that has a huge big garden, doesn't have kids and is home all day???

I can understand neutering dogs that are re homed, I can understand the home checks but blanket restrictions do not automatically prevent dogs being homed with less than truthful people. It just punishes the minority and prevents perfectly good homes from being found.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:35 PM
What she said plus I do not think anyone answered one of my questions, do rescues do CRB checks?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
So because I own, show and breed (last one is currently hypothetical) responsibly I shouldn't be allowed a rescue dog? And therefore in your mind anyone who breeds is automatically adding to the rescue population?

You keep saying that by having strict requirements/blanket policies you're keeping the dogs safe, but in the same breath you again say people will lie through their back teeth to get what they want so surely blanket policies will fail regardless? What's to stop someone rescuing a dog from somewhere and then moving house a couple of months later and acquiring an entire dog from elsewhere? How can any of the rescue organisations be sure that the dog they re homed isn't being abused and beaten everyday by the "lovely" owner they found for them that has a huge big garden, doesn't have kids and is home all day???

I can understand neutering dogs that are re homed, I can understand the home checks but blanket restrictions do not automatically prevent dogs being homed with less than truthful people. It just punishes the minority and prevents perfectly good homes from being found.
but thats just it - what blanket policies are you talking about that you disagree with?
I dont believe they are blanket policies, I think it depends on the rescue and the situation, I certainly think most breed rescues DO NOT have blanket policies, but they do have certain restrictions it really depends on where you go and who you speak to.

I just get the feeling that sometimes people "assume" they wont get a rescue because they work full time, dont have a garden etc etc but it just isnt so.

I just hope that if people get turned away from one rescue they seek out another.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:53 PM
but thats just it - what blanket policies are you talking about that you disagree with?
I dont believe they are blanket policies, I think it depends on the rescue and the situation, I certainly think most breed rescues DO NOT have blanket policies, but they do have certain restrictions it really depends on where you go and who you speak to.

I just get the feeling that sometimes people "assume" they wont get a rescue because they work full time, dont have a garden etc etc but it just isnt so.

I just hope that if people get turned away from one rescue they seek out another.
The policy of not allowing dogs to be re homed with current entire dogs (as referred to by rune in the post I quoted).

My Sister was turned down by Bichon Rescue because her youngest Daughter was 4 (no dogs to homes with kids under 5), so they bought a pup instead who is still with them and now 5 years old. Lovely outcome for my Sister and her family, not so much for the rescue dog that missed out.

I feel that a lot of rescues expect you to jump through many, many hoops and tbh a lot are becoming very "holier than thou" (no personal offence intended) which puts me off (previous experience). I would never go to a large rescue organisation again as ime they are too restrictive with their policies (no re homing with kids under 5, dog not to be left for more than 4 hours, must have a garden, all current dogs must be neutered etc), but the smaller ones often seem to be too much the other way with poor assessments done on the dogs (again previous experience). TBH it's more than likely if I were ever to re home again I'd find my own way to do it, I just don't trust rescues any more sadly.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Also many of us who would not have a dog from rescue actually do quite a lot of work FOR them in terms of assessing dogs, transporting dogs, assessing homes or providing advice, help and training so dogs can stay in their homes.
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What she said plus I do not think anyone answered one of my questions, do rescues do CRB checks?
Could you not ask the rescues you help out?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Could you not ask the rescues you help out?
I know the answer for the two I do, as already said (several times on this thread) there appear not to be "blanket policies" therefore I would like to learn about what OTHER rescues do.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
The policy of not allowing dogs to be re homed with current entire dogs (as referred to by rune in the post I quoted).

My Sister was turned down by Bichon Rescue because her youngest Daughter was 4 (no dogs to homes with kids under 5), so they bought a pup instead who is still with them and now 5 years old. Lovely outcome for my Sister and her family, not so much for the rescue dog that missed out.

I feel that a lot of rescues expect you to jump through many, many hoops and tbh a lot are becoming very "holier than thou" (no personal offence intended) which puts me off (previous experience). I would never go to a large rescue organisation again as ime they are too restrictive with their policies (no re homing with kids under 5, dog not to be left for more than 4 hours, must have a garden, all current dogs must be neutered etc), but the smaller ones often seem to be too much the other way with poor assessments done on the dogs (again previous experience). TBH it's more than likely if I were ever to re home again I'd find my own way to do it, I just don't trust rescues any more sadly.
seems like we cant win then, the big ones have too many restrictions and the little uns are restrictive enough?

I like to think there is a happy medium, but there will always be mistakes, and situations where dogs come back.

We recently had a lovely home for an old dog who was supposed to be fine with cats, went to a new home, which didnt have cats in home, but had feral ones outside and dog chased them..... came back within 24 hours, new owner not willing to work on it... who is to blame? rescue for not testing the dog with cats outside, new owner for not being willing to work on it?

I will say it again, its a very difficult job, but not every rescue is one or the other.

Alot of the large organisations have the no kids under 5 for a very good reason, many dogs that end up there are strays so they dont have enough background to say for sure what dog is like with young kids who are notoriously unpredicatble( kids I am talking about) and on the other side of that if a dog was rehomed to younger kids and then hurt the child then the rescue is to blame... so I can understand the rule.

We will only rehome a dog to young children if they have been brought up with young kids or experience with them. Staffies can be boisterous and so you have to do the best you can.

we do not have the neutered rule, we do not have conditions of a garden( unless said dog has had a garden and is particularly fond of having a garden/come from country home etc)
We also have no hard and fast rules as to full time work - as long as there is something in place to satisfy what arrangements would be made for dog.
Its down to the individual dog with us.

so its not a "blanket " covering ALL rescues.
Thats what irks me everyone is tarred with the same brush,
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Rips as you know I have been involved in helping out rescues and of all the ones I have been involved with not one has expected all dogs to be neutered - I do wonder just how many in reality do!

I would be interested in what breeders have as their criteria for homing puppies - do they let them go to homes where people work full time etc etc. It seems to me that as is very often the case on here that rescues are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

I have worked with some great rescues and I find it very sad that threads like this just cement you opinion that no rescues can be trusted = I think you are doing a real injustice to the many people who work long and hard to do the best for dogs.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
seems like we cant win then, the big ones have too many restrictions and the little uns are restrictive enough?

I like to think there is a happy medium, but there will always be mistakes, and situations where dogs come back.

We recently had a lovely home for an old dog who was supposed to be fine with cats, went to a new home, which didnt have cats in home, but had feral ones outside and dog chased them..... came back within 24 hours, new owner not willing to work on it... who is to blame? rescue for not testing the dog with cats outside, new owner for not being willing to work on it?

I will say it again, its a very difficult job, but not every rescue is one or the other.

Alot of the large organisations have the no kids under 5 for a very good reason, many dogs that end up there are strays so they dont have enough background to say for sure what dog is like with young kids who are notoriously unpredicatble( kids I am talking about) and on the other side of that if a dog was rehomed to younger kids and then hurt the child then the rescue is to blame... so I can understand the rule.

We will only rehome a dog to young children if they have been brought up with young kids or experience with them. Staffies can be boisterous and so you have to do the best you can.

we do not have the neutered rule, we do not have conditions of a garden( unless said dog has had a garden and is particularly fond of having a garden/come from country home etc)
We also have no hard and fast rules as to full time work - as long as there is something in place to satisfy what arrangements would be made for dog.
Its down to the individual dog with us.

so its not a "blanket " covering ALL rescues.
Thats what irks me everyone is tarred with the same brush,
Excellent response
Page 8 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 >