View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-03-2011, 12:03 AM

Would you want your dogs to protect themselves?

Inspired by Katie23's thread - would you want your dogs to protect themselves if someone broke into your house and tried to steal them?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:16 AM
What do you mean by protecting themselves Azz?

This could mean them running upstairs to their owners, barking, biting the intruder etc etc

Nobody would actually get anywhere near the front door without me knowing about it.

The sound of one of my dogs barking would put the fear of god into anyone not out of their mind on drink or drugs and if they did get in, there is no chance of them being stolen!

There is a chance that they could get very badly injured if my dog did not listen to me when I gave them an opportunity to leave before I sent the dog, if they ignored this I would deploy the dog if I had no other option and I feared for my safety and then they WOULD get very badly bitten.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:22 AM
I can't see anyone being able to steal Duncan he would put up a fight and he would protect Mollie too who is far too soft to bother and would just trot into anyone's car !

We have always seemed to had one who is protective and others who aren't so have happily left them in cars and home alone as we know one would not allow the others to be taken.

Not something we planned or encouraged it has just happened.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I certainly wouldn't want any of my dogs to wander off happily with an intruder, but am 99% certain that wouldn't happen anyway. My two GSDs would protect the property and I would be surprised if someone could break in here without getting bitten by one or both of them. My collie is not a protective/aggressive dog, but is a very one woman dog and would either run and hide or would possibly fear bite if a stranger took a hold of him.

Hubby's dogs (outside on their kennels) would put up a real rumpus if anyone strange came on to our property and I am not sure they would let anyone they didn't know touch them, yet off their kennels they are a friendly bunch.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:09 AM
It`s not really a question of want is it? It`s whatever the dog`s nature is. Shamus would go with anyone for a biscuit. Daisy........ wouldn`t.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It`s not really a question of want is it? It`s whatever the dog`s nature is. Shamus would go with anyone for a biscuit. Daisy........ wouldn`t.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, Rianna is likely to follow anyone with a biscuit in their hand she is so trusting of humans. Baruska on the other hand will not go for a walk with anyone but us, and often not unless we are both going Also, although friendly to people, she would give an intruder a hell of a fright if they tried to push her out of the way or hit her.

To answer Azz's question, yes I would be quite happy if they tried to protect themselves.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Hmm, firstly good luck getting into the house. Secondly, good luck getting out unhurt.

Having said that, if someone did break in, Id rather they went and hid under the bed or something rather than risk getting hurt. I can replace the telly, I cannot replace them
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I meant if you were out and your dogs were home alone.

Rocky barks when he hears a noise so that would put most burglars off - his bark is very deep! He's also quite territorial and not happy with strangers coming into the house unless he's been shown they're ok (i.e invited in) so I doubt he would be stolen easily.

I suppose it's something I've taken for granted - but is something I'd think about with any dog I might get in future.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 03:23 PM
All my dogs bay like the Hounds of Hell when someone dares get near the house. Even Razzle! It sounds hugely impressive.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Rocky barks when he hears a noise so that would put most burglars off - his bark is very deep! He's also quite territorial
Both absolutely typical of a good dog BTW how is he I haven't been able to follow all the threads but Ihope he is doing OK.

It's so depressing that we have to think about our dogs being stolen, humanity is heading downhill
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >