View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Aren't dogs supposed to protect their special treats?

I just gave Cain a recreational bone to have a chew on. He took it to his bed. We make a point of never taking any food off him unnecessarily. We only do this if he picks up something he shouldn't have/is dangerous, and he's always let me take it without any fuss. We were just saying what a good boy he was and how he wasn't protective of his food when he proved his point.....he bought his bone over, laid it on my feet and proceeded to settle down and chew it!!!

Now I am very pleased he's not protective of his food however I thought this was funny. I thought a normal dog would like to eat their treat alone in peace, not use my foot as a table!!

Anyone elses dogs do this?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Mine does sometimes. And if we give him something in a container that slides around as he eats whatevers in it he fully expects us to hold the container still for him while he eats. Failure to do so results in nudges, heavy sighs and meaningful looks as he chases the container into our feet so it can't escape
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I just gave Cain a recreational bone to have a chew on. He took it to his bed. We make a point of never taking any food off him unnecessarily. We only do this if he picks up something he shouldn't have/is dangerous, and he's always let me take it without any fuss. We were just saying what a good boy he was and how he wasn't protective of his food when he proved his point.....he bought his bone over, laid it on my feet and proceeded to settle down and chew it!!!

Now I am very pleased he's not protective of his food however I thought this was funny. I thought a normal dog would like to eat their treat alone in peace, not use my foot as a table!!

Anyone elses dogs do this?
Cain is paying you a very high compliment! He trusts you completely, good boy that he is.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I've never seen my dog try to protect any treat, even when he's stolen sunday roast, he gives it back without a fuss.
I've never did anything to try and "make him" not be like this.
Are some dogs maybe just more food guary in nature? I used to have a springer who would have taken the hand off you had you gone near her with a bone.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Tilly was food agressive but we managed to get over it after lots of work! If she had a bone or chew treat I would just leave her to it as even eye contact would cause her to growl "back off"
Now she will leg it off to her bed with the treat & after a while (if it's long lasting)she'll bring it to me & plonk it on me.
It's as if she's saying "I will share with you but only after I've had first dibbs on my own"
I think a lot of it is about trust!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Jake usually lies next to me when he has a bone, and doesnt seem to mind. tbh, i think now that he is on raw and gets his favourite foods everyday, he really trusts that i give him food, and dont take it away. i think he thought that before, but now he gets higher value food everyday, its a bigger thing for him...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 10:44 PM
This is one area where I think Im are very lucky.
Bruce Reah and Skye often lie on my lap eating thier chews, Bruce has a habit of pushing it into my hand or arm....to hold it for him lazy sod.
Tess will bury everything around my back on the seat obviously feels I am a good food protector
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Marius always ends up chewing his treats on my feet. It all stems back from puppy-hood where I used to jam the bone between my feet so he would lie still and be quiet for a while It's a cute trait.

From an early age I always ensure that my dogs are used to their food bowls and treats/bones being moved/added to or even picked back up without fuss. I feed them in the kitchen and often when I am in there have to step-over Marius and Lola to get from a to b - as most of you will know even this is a dominant action (especially to a Rottie) but he never bats an eye.

I love it when they feel comfortable and secure enough to eat at your feet that way - it's lovely isn't it?
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2010, 07:16 AM
my dog candy does this, i have 3 year old twins and she takes her treat to them as though she is offering to share with them
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Maybe he was offering to share, how rude of you to not take up his offer
You won't find it quite so endearing when he drops a mouthful of defrosted tripe mince onto your foot while you're in the kitchen though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >