View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2014, 08:46 PM
I will never push raw feeding on anyone. Not will I say that all rawhide chews are bad. Because I am not a canine nutritionist.

I learned a lot from Dogsey - what was good or bad for some dogs and what was good or bad for some other dogs.

And in the end you have to do what you think is best for your dog and for you.

And I know what is best for my beloved dog, which would be totally wrong for others. Proof? I do not know but I just have to look at her teeth, smell that oh so sweet breath, look at her gleaming coat, bury my nose in it and kiss her tummy - and I know what is best for her.

For her. Best for her. Maybe not best for other dogs though but best for my Pereg.

Everyone is free to make up their own minds and choose what is suitable for them and for their dog.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2014, 01:44 AM
I've read what they say about cooked bones...that being said we give them to our dogs somewhat regularly and in almost nine years it's never been an issue, and they eat them completely.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2014, 02:06 AM
My last dog Brownie got tons of cooked bones (even chicken, which splinter badly) when I was younger. Rib bones, sharp pork chop bones, the works. I didn't know not to give them to him when I was little. He never had an issue, either. He ate them entirely, never had any perforations, bloody stool, nothing ever.

Now that I have read about them, and realize they are not so good for the dogs, I don't give them. Well I do give roasted bones, but giant ones that don't splinter all over the place. No cooked splintery bones, and no cooked rib bones.

I think the dogs would likely be okay with the splintery ones, as my Brownie was and a few other dogs that we had in my youth. But I've seen horror stories and even though my dogs have always been fine, they do make you paranoid sometimes.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post

I think the dogs would likely be okay with the splintery ones, as my Brownie was and a few other dogs that we had in my youth. But I've seen horror stories and even though my dogs have always been fine, they do make you paranoid sometimes.
Cooked bones USUALLY go down ok. But ask your vet about cases he or she has treated where bones did damage. Almost all vets have had to treat problems arising from feeding bones. I think chipped and cracked teeth from raw bones are what they see most often these days, hence many warnings about avoiding weight bearing bones from large animals.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Perhaps it's all subjective on the size and type of bone, size and type of dog...I do worry about cracked teeth or something sometimes. Not to mention that really unsettling noise

A dog with jaws like a great white devouring a rib roast bone under the table. CRUNCHCHRUNCHCHRUNCHBANGCRUNCHCHRUNCHCHRUNCH
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2014, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
Perhaps it's all subjective on the size and type of bone, size and type of dog...I do worry about cracked teeth or something sometimes. Not to mention that really unsettling noise

A dog with jaws like a great white devouring a rib roast bone under the table. CRUNCHCHRUNCHCHRUNCHBANGCRUNCHCHRUNCHCHRUNCH
Well said lovemybull. It all depends on what dog and what type of bones. I would think it's not recommended to give a huge Mastiff chicken wings, but pork neck would be appropriate according to size, and vice versa for small breeds. From what I have gathered from others (this has never happened to me) is that weight bearing bones are too hard and can crack teeth. That is why I give non-bearing bones like necks, ribs, brisket, whole turkey necks, etc.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Well said lovemybull. It all depends on what dog and what type of bones. I would think it's not recommended to give a huge Mastiff chicken wings, but pork neck would be appropriate according to size, and vice versa for small breeds. From what I have gathered from others (this has never happened to me) is that weight bearing bones are too hard and can crack teeth. That is why I give non-bearing bones like necks, ribs, brisket, whole turkey necks, etc.
Neither of my dogs are interested in large bones. My Shar-Pei just sniffs them and walks away looking disgusted! For her I normally buy turkey necks and for my Mini Schnauzer who's half her size, chicken necks or wings. Their all time favourite though are chicken feet which are crunchy and highly nutritious.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2014, 09:34 AM
I tend to give the Pugs big bones, they keep them occupied for hours with no danger of choking.

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2014, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I tend to give the Pugs big bones, they keep them occupied for hours with no danger of choking.

That's brilliant trouble! Your dog is beautiful and clearly getting a lot of pleasure from bones that are at least as big as him! I'm looking after my daughter's chihuahuas tonight and they have adopted a large bone abandoned by Ben and are having a whale of a time with it!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2014, 02:23 AM
And in other news, in NO situation would I ever give the dogs bones together. I don't recommend that to most people. Raw bones can cause even more aggression than normal food and unless you know your dogs really well, feeding together isn't a good idea. It's great if your dogs are okay with it, but I never recommend it.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >