Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-09-2009, 11:54 AM

meningitis help

our rescued pomerainian is coming up to about 7 years old now, and although her behaviour has always been odd due to how she was kept before we noticed she was getting worse.

She would lean her head to one side and was crying alot, so after several failed attemps with our less than usefull vet, and after how we lost one of our other to what we think may of been a similar condition we got her booked for a brain and spine scan.

Results came back that she does have meningitis she's been on steroids for a while which I must admit has calmed/controlled it but I was wondering if anyone else has a dog with this condition? due to the steroids she's put on alot of weight and also has a loose knee cap which has resulted in her hardly using her back leg! problem is she is slightly mentally scarred after being kept in a cage for several years before she got rescued and refuses/has no idea how to go for a walk.

anyone else in a similar situation? or know of any good sites I can use? would love to speak with people who are in the same boat as me.
Raeyven
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Firstly, I don't really know anything about meningitis in dogs and the subsequent problems she's encountered with the steroids. But for the walking problems, if you haven't tried it already then perhaps taking her for a walk but carrying her. Getting her used to her surroundings but in a way she feels comfortable and safe. Maybe take her somewhere nice and quiet where you can sit with her and reassure her that she's safe and then gradually start to work from there. I'm sorry to hear of the problems she's had in her life but it sounds like she has a great home now and I hope she continues to recover well from her illness
Sorry I can't be of any more help
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I've already tried the walking bit, she's never really managed to get used to how to walk! even when with my other dogs.

She will either sit down and refuse to move or she did used to take off and just keep going at one time. It's just since she's been on steroids her weight has shot up, one vet has said we can reduce the levels and another said she may need a increase at some point if the menigitis flares up again! great eh?

But I'll keep looking anyway!
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I didnt know dogs could get meningitis, sounds terrible what happened to your girl, sounds like you have a useless vet i would try different ones.

Hope you manage to get her walking eventually but sounds like she has got a loving home and family that want to help her.

Good luck hope all goes well with her.
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
neither did I Kobebear, but unfortunatly it's possible! I've managed to get her off the steroids now at longs last and she's doing quite well, I went and saw the main vet yesterday about her back leg again.

The other vet we saw said it's muscle damage, the main one has told us it's muscle wastage due to the knee cap being out of place too much and the muscle on one side has just wasted away, She's now booked in for next week to have a op on her knee to put it back into place and keep it there!

I doubt I'll see this other vet again as she didn't have a clue what to do with her! but at least she'll be sorted out in a few days time.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Hope everything goes ok with the op next week and it helps her legs.

Sometimes you dont know what to believe vets are saying one says one thing and another says something else its very worrying, one vet said to us there was nothing wrong with our boy and then the next visit another said he wanted a biopsy then it was too late.