Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-08-2006, 11:11 AM

Crates, your views please ?

I'm relatively new to this site, but not to dog ownership. I've kept them for most of my life and was a breeder for many years. This post is likely to be controversial and will almost certainly provoke a reaction from some owners. I apologise in advance as I have no wish to offend anyone. However, I must speak on a subject about which I feel most strongly.
It seems from this and other sources that the regular and prolonged use of "crates" (little wire cages in fact) is becoming widespread, particularly among owners in work. In my opinion this amounts to abuse.
Dogs are highly intelligent pack-orientated animals. They are entitled to certain things beyond the essentials of food and shelter, including space, as much freedom as we can safely allow, companionship and above all mental stimulation. They are unsuitable for keeping in isolation or in cages for anything other than very short periods and essential reasons (transportation, medical etc.)
The "crate" is a tool of convenience to the owner. To the dog it is a prison which denies it the right to enjoy anything approaching a natural life. To treat it in this way is to regard it as a mere posession to be "put away" when not required.
I'm retired now but like many people I did have dogs while I was working. It can be done but it is not ideal and perhaps I too was selfish at times. However, I tried to do it in what I believe was a humane way. They had the kitchen and permanent access by a dog flap to a large secure garden. A huge run in effect. They were never alone for long and never caged.
In short, I believe that dog ownership is a privilege and a responsibility which can not fit into every lifestyle. To keep dogs day after day for hours on end in conditions more often associated with battery chickens is entirely unacceptable.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Not entirely sure I agree with everything you are saying. But i know I couldn't use a crate. I did try after been advised by a few folk as my girl was chewing things when i was out. But I just felt too guilty about leaving her alone in it for so long. Not saying anything against any one who does use one as I know they can be useful for training, but i personally couldn't do it.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:28 AM
have to say I am not a fan unless its used for travelling etc

My dog hates to be restricted and is quite happy snoring his head off all day on the couch - whereas if he was in a crate then he would spend all day trying to eat his way thru.

To be honest I dont see the point in owning a dog and keeping it in a crate for most of the day - you might aswell have a budgie if thats what you have to do.

And on that note - i would never keep birds etc for the same reason - i hate to see them restricted so therefore wouldnt do that to a dog etc
dani
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I bought a crate for Benji when he was a puppy - it was a very large one though and I never shut the door - he just used to use it as his hiding place - I covered it with a blanket so it was nice and dark for him. I don't use one anymore cos it was taking up too much room in the kitchen. I don't think I would have the heart to shut a dog in one to be honest - I know some people do but I just use the kitchen with a dog gate on when I have to go out although saying that he isn't usually left for very long on his own.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:42 AM
i use a crate for the pups, it gives them a safe place to go to for peace and quiet, it helps with house training and it gives me somewhere safe for them when they are sleeping and I want all the dogs in one room. They do take to them. BUT...as soon as they look 'big' in them, out they come as I don't like them not having the room to move freely and have a little play if they want.
I understand what you are saying and possibly agree with points, but I do think they are a useful training aid, especially with pups, they can also be a place of refuge for more nervous dogs.
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:43 AM
I was tempted to use a crate but couldnt bring myself to shut him in what looks like a prison cell. Instead i bought my JRT a babies play pen. He has lots more room to run around when i'm out and seems to love it. He is only in there for no longer than an hour and only if he is being left alone as he tends to chew things. He has his bed in one corner, puppy pads in another and lots of chews and toys. He seems to really enjoy it and we have had no trouble with him and the neighbours say he is really quiet when we go out
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I Hate the thought of a Dog being shut up in one all Day .But I have a Massive cage and I do mean massive a family of 4 could move in kai my Leonberger is scared of most things,but is scared to Death of any sort of bang.So the month before firework night and for at least a month after we put it up and cover it and he copes really well once he is in there.The Door is always open so he makes the choice if he go in it or not.And we go Camping a lot and it keeps the Dogs safe over night.They have there place,but I do think some people just put there Dogs in for a easy life and for far too long
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I think it's like everything else, they are open to abuse, but, for some they may be a useful tool...used correctly. Like you I have had dogs all of my life and to date have never needed to use a crate. I do know people who as you said use them inappropriately and I think as you have said to keep a dog isolated and confined for any unecessary amount of time is cruel for a sociable and intelligent animal. However, I also believe that for some used correctly they may be a useful training aid and as I have never used one for myself I won't pass judgement on them.

Kath
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 12:23 PM
We used one for Hollie when we first got her - she was a tiny puppy and we had two very young children (2 and 4 years), the crate enabled Hollie to have her own space without getting accidently trodden on by boistrous childrem, and the children could have some time to play on the floor with a tiny puppy 'helping'!

We still have the crate, it lives in the utiltity room, has a cosy bed in - Hollie goes in for a snooze if she likes, and it is used very occassionally to keep her safe, for example if there are workmen in and out the house, she is happy to snooze in her crate the odd time that happens.

I am glad we got it, and if we ever got another puppy I would use it in exactly the same way.
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 01:26 PM
We have a crate in the car and use it daily for our two Jrt's, and know that they are safe, whilst on the move. On the other hand my elder daughter (Jayne) has used a crate, in the home for her Springer Spaniel, Tess from the day she brought her home as a wee pup. Tess was kept in it daily whilst Jayne was at work, she came home at lunch time to let Tess out to do her 'jobs', and she was let out when the family came home. I was worried about it until I had to nip over from time to time to let her out if Jayne was delayed. Tess loved her crate, and felt happy and secure in it. Now she is bigger she has it as a bed and only goes in it to sleep or rest. she is totally happy and is the sweetest dog, with no hangups or problems. So I am now a fan, of the dreaded crate.
AnneXX
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »