Our sister sites
Our sister sites
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-10-2010, 07:38 AM

How to dry a snarling dog with a towel!

Hello,

After a walk in the wet weather I would like to dry my dog in the conservatory before he comes into the house. But as soon as I approach or start to dry him with a towel he snarls and shows his teeth!!

Any suggestions, what we are currently doing is leaving him in conservatory for 20 mins until he is dry, bur would prefer to dry him
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by matty6 View Post
Hello,

After a walk in the wet weather I would like to dry my dog in the conservatory before he comes into the house. But as soon as I approach or start to dry him with a towel he snarls and shows his teeth!!

Any suggestions, what we are currently doing is leaving him in conservatory for 20 mins until he is dry, bur would prefer to dry him
I think this is something you need to get him used to over a period of time, and not just when its needed.

He is snarling because he does not like or want you to rub him down,

Personally for now , leave him in the conservatory... but make it a daily task to show him the towel, (does he like treats) arm yourself with a bag full.

Start by showing him the towel, = treat, then move on to wiping his back / chest/chin or the place he feels most comfortable, this will equal a treat, do a bit more as he gets used to it, move on to a a leg/foot , and so on and so on... it will take as long as it takes, when he is comfortable with one part of his anatomy being dried, move on to the next.

Some dogs may feel to restricted and confined by throwing a towel over them,

One of mine, loves it, you can cocoon him in a towel and he will stand there all day, the other one you have to approach differently, I start by wiping under her chin, (she loves that) and them slowly move on over her body, i would never simply just throw a towel over her completey , because she will freak out.

You need to do this exersice every day , once or twice, for only a minute or two.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 08:43 AM
This is the handshy dog from another thread? I`d leave him, tbh until he`s more accepting of being touched. You could always get him a waterproof coat for walking in the wet?
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-10-2010, 09:02 AM
yes this is the 'hand shy' dog, he has also snarled at me when he has been sat on my wifes lap on the settee, (as if to say im with her you go away) we have stopped him from getting onto the settee now. (he is fine with this, he has only been on the settee on 3 or occaisions)

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I really would recommend you read `The Culture Clash` by Jean Donaldson which is an excellent basic book and also has tips on `issues`.
You could also loook into asking a APBC or APDT behaviourist (please avoid the franchises like Bark Busters and Dog Whisperers, Botherers, Naggers etc) to come in. They are not cheap, but hopefully one visit will provide an Action Plan for you to turn this little chap round.