View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Some 1 Said Midge Looked Like A Ginipig X Dog. To Be Honest I Can See Where She Was Coming From But It Was Still A Little Rude.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by leo
yeah we get long coated gsd............ got nothing against gsd's just gets to you when people won't take your word for the breed you own.
i can understand why they think gsd with colour etc and not many knowing leo's as a breed.
some 1 i know took her leo on holiday and they was trying to tell her she had a gsd x afgan because her girl was all legs and no bulk.

in all honest you do feel as though you have to explain what they are etc but you turn the corner and get it again.
i feel like putting a leo sign round their necks some times........................
If you put a leo sign around there necks people would just say

"why has that GSD Got a leo sign around its Neck" When Cookie was a pup people were always asking when her Ears would prick up or Gsd ears should be up by now
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz
I often have people say they have never seen a Weimaraner in that 'funny colour', the 'Weimaraner' is a Vizsla. When they are told that Tally or Nova is not a Weimaraner but is in fact a Hungarian Vizsla they then without fail say "Are you sure? I have never heard of them." Of course I am sure.

When my daughter was young she did quite a bit of Junior handling and she was once asked by a judge what breed did she have? When Tammy told the judge that Kes was a Hungarian Vizsla the judge asked her was she sure!!!! I was never sure whether it was because the judge really didn't know or she thought that Kes was a very poor example of a Vizsla which couldn't have been true as she was almost always placed. And one judge said to me, "Oh, how strange, a short coated Irish Setter!" And better still she placed my dog!!!!! Didn't feel too good about that win!!!
for some reason when we got our first setter 2 years ago as a puppy everyone thought she was a choc lab!!???

most of the time though people tell me i'm mad cos they're said to be totally un trianable and very highly strung as well as very badly behaved - all of which is totally untrue, my dogs are very well behaved, are trained on and off the lead and do sit and stay when told!! its all in the training you see!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I still get people trying to work out what Hector is crossed with

When you do laugh and say he's a Leo then the normal response is 'never heard of them, are you sure?'

I give up telling people now cause they dont believe you anway.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2006, 10:34 AM
My MIL has just asked why Zuki does not have long hair like NORMAL Sibes! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I have a mainly white border collie. Several people have asked me what breed she is. Most excapt it when I say she is a border collie but some have told me that I must be mistaken and told me that she cant be a bc because of her colour!!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

13-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I've loved reading through this thread. Will give my age away now and tell you that in 1956 I got my first Dobermann puppy. Carriyng it through the village I met our local policeman who bred and showed dachsies, - He admired my dachsie puppy, until I put it on the ground - all credit to him he did correct his mistake and say It's a Dobermann pinscher. That year I think there were only about 150 dobe puppies registered, they were a very new breed in the country then.

I also had people asking what my Groenendael was - a BC - a black GSD - a cross bred.? And the inevitable "I've never heard of them" when I said what he was. and as for the german pinscher - well we went through it all again - Kath
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I was told by my pub landlord, who knew everything (not!) that my liver spotted boy was a Dal/English Setter cross! After all, Dalmatians don't come in "brown" do they!!!!!!!
I once followed a woman and child down by the beach and the child turned round to look at the dogs. (one black, one liver) The child clearly made some comment about the Dalmatians and the mother turned to her and said (in my earshot) "well they're not very good ones!"
Polly had just got her stud book number.
An amazing number of people both sides of the Irish Sea have asked me if they are Dalmatians, even when I have been at a show.... a bit worrying if they are judges!!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by becs721
I have a mainly white border collie. Several people have asked me what breed she is. Most excapt it when I say she is a border collie but some have told me that I must be mistaken and told me that she cant be a bc because of her colour!!

Yup, I get that with each of my three white BCs

Just watching a bit of Britains Top Dog and one of the dogs was introduced as a Lurcher crossed with a collie - well, that means she is, in fact, a Lurcher herself then duh !!!!
It really grates when Lurchers are called a Lurcher cross cos a dog being a Lurcher is self explanatory anyway !!!!
Stoopid presenter :smt021
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2006, 07:02 AM
The fact that my deaf ones are deaf because of being double merles is proof enough that they must be pure BC because they would`nt have the deaf genetics and coat colour otherwise !!
It only proves that both parents were merles not that they were both BC's............

I have 2 "WSD" (they are all border collies to me!) and one dual registered BC. One of my dogs is black and white, the second however is very mottled and a tri so I often get asked what he is crossed with because collies are supposed to black and white and the best one so far is my merle youngster. When I first brought him home and started carrying him around I was told that he was a BC x Husky and that collies don't come in that colour and that I had been conned by the breeder and as I picked him up on April 1st he must be her idea of an April fool's joke!

I still get people asking now what he is but they are far more polite than when he was a pup, he is the only red merle that my vet has seen although there are a few blue ones at that practice so I understand that most people don't know that there is such a thing. I usually end up asking if they have seen those shelties that are a blue-grey colour and then explaining that is a blue merle and Sol is a red one (although technically he is brown) and a lot of them don't even realise that collies can be blue merle too!

The downside is that some people predictably "want one just like him" until I tell them I travelled 4 hours each way to see him and then went back again 4 hours each way to collect him and that the breeder checked up on me and that she likes her pups to go to working homes ....... thankfully that puts a lot of them off! Oh yes, I also get told that collie's don't have pricked ears like him either

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »