Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
people don't even think midge is a dog!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 02:03 PM
I always get asked if Kai is a fox...... i don't mind though as he does look like one.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 02:18 PM
you get all sorts when you have NI everyone seems to be an expert ppl stand there saying well they look kinda like a GSD or 'snow dogs' or 'huskies' and I'm always like, they are just NI they look like NI but I guess it's just part of not having a more common breed...In every breed you can see a little of something in it, flat coat retreivers sometimes look like mini newfies to me But! ppl should really take your word for it when you do tell them!
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2006, 05:32 PM
I get fed up of being asked if Bob is a Greyhound
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Most people think Max is either a Staffy (he's too tall and leggy to be one) or a Bull Mastiff (he's too little and skinny with the wrong shaped head to be one)

I think its because he's brindle as oppsed to red and white; and also the fact that he's undocked...

Here he is...
(apologies for the fact that his ears are all inside out (they are his naughty ears) and you can't see his tail). Thinking of people who have Staffies or Bull Mastiff on here, he couldn't look any more like a Boxer

If I see a dog and I'm not sure what breed they are, I'll ask in a polite way. I would never question what the owner said. I'd be fairly sure they know what kind of dog they have living in their house!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Have been told that Pickles is a Cairn! Pickles is barely recognisable as a dog, let alone a pedigree one!

And if one more person insists on telling me that Woody is a Golden Labrador I'm going to punch their lights out!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 10:27 PM
I am asked if Mollie is an American Bulldog! when I say no she is a Boxer, am told, but you don't get white Boxers!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 10:39 PM
I wish I had a pound for every time I have been asked what my dogs are and am I sure they are what I `think` they are
For the record, yes Border Collies can come in white as well, yes some are short coated, yes there is a vast range in sizes and build, and they have varying ear types as well !

Something which really grates on me though is utter snobbery from the KC regarding Border Collies.
They call non-papered Border Collies `Working Sheep Dogs`. There is no such breed ! A bit of paper does not change their genetic make-up and parentage.
One of mine does happen to be a Pedigree`d BC but the rescue he came from keeps all pedigree papers if they are handed in with a dog to put people off from breeding if their rescue`d dogs could not be neutered prior to re-homing.

The fact that my deaf ones are deaf because of being double merles is proof enough that they must be pure BC because they would`nt have the deaf genetics and coat colour otherwise !!

It might seem like a silly gripe but the fact is that in Agility, many dogs are excluded from some major competitions based on whether they have a pedigree paper or not and all those called a working sheep dog are excluded in such instances.
Doesnt seem to matter if the best agility dogs represent a country, [ whether they are BCs or not - agility is not just for collies !! ], its a piece of paper which matters more apparently.
Laurence
New Member!
Male 

09-08-2006, 09:01 PM
I have been asked a few time if Zoe if Zoe is a labX, even by another Lab owner.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 10:25 PM
thankfully people dont usually question me when I tell them what Kira is ,but there was one time we were at an village event and a woman with some friends was standing next to me and started discussing what Kira was without saying a word to me ,I even heard her say "It must have some of the wolf strain in it" whatever that means
It made me feel really annoyed the way she just ignored me while talking about my dog
I've had people ask if she is a husky,Akita,GSD,wolf etc.
Thankfully I dont get so much bother with Benji as its clear he is a cross breed ,although I did get asked the other day if he was a golden retriever
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »