Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

25-12-2016, 08:45 PM

Fake injury?

🎄Seasons Greetings!🎄

I've had lots of family & friends visit over the Christmas period and it's brought something unusual about my rescue dog's behaviour to my attention-
If my dog is picked up by someone she is familiar with she's fine- Even if they're quite rough with her...But if someone she's not familiar picks her up, she yelps as though she has been injured- Even if they're very gentle with her.
I've noticed her yelp when being picked up by strangers before but have always assumed that my guest had misjudged her size/weight and as a result had been too rough with her.

Could my dog pretending to be hurt so that strangers don't handle her?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-12-2016, 09:06 PM
No she's expressing her displeasure about strangers picking her up. Better to yelp than snap, I don't know why you'd let strangers pick her up I wouldn't let people pick mine up.
Meg
Supervisor

26-12-2016, 12:19 AM
But if someone she's not familiar picks her up, she yelps as though she has been injured- Even if they're very gentle with her
Hi Kitty I agree with Trouble.
Look at it this way, what would you say if someone you didn't know picked you up.
You would probably be scared and say in a fearful voice 'who are you put me down' .
I think your little dog is doing exactly this and voicing fear/objection.

As a rescue dog she may have being scared or hurt when being picked up by a stranger and now associates bring picked up with that past experience

I would not encourage strangers to pick your dog up unless it is absolutely necessary eg when left at the vets. Better to leave on a lead and lead her.
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

26-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Hi guys

I do not allow people to pick up my dog- Quite the opposite.

I would never want to pick up someone's dog (even if I knew the dog well) so sometimes I completely forget that others have a random, impulsive urge to scoop up someone elses dog that they know nothing about �� if I were asked permission I'd certainly say no.

My dog is very friendly and loves to greet guests. I believe that because she's so small people would rather pick her up than bend over to give her a pat on the head. It winds me up. If I catch someone doing it I stop them.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-12-2016, 02:19 PM
So they have to bend down to pick her up, all you do is as they start to bend say "Do not pick her up" speak up before they have her off the ground.
Meg
Supervisor

26-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Kitty12 View Post
Hi guys

I do not allow people to pick up my dog- Quite the opposite.

I would never want to pick up someone's dog (even if I knew the dog well) so sometimes I completely forget that others have a random, impulsive urge to scoop up someone elses dog that they know nothing about �� if I were asked permission I'd certainly say no.

My dog is very friendly and loves to greet guests. I believe that because she's so small people would rather pick her up than bend over to give her a pat on the head. It winds me up. If I catch someone doing it I stop them.
How odd, my little dog is friendly but no one has ever tried to pick her up.
Not that they would manage it, she is a feisty independent little girl and hates being picked up by anyone.

I wouldn't dream of picking up anyone else's dog either, a lot of dogs are not comfortable about being picked up, I guess it makes them feel insecure because their 'flight' response is being removed.