Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Dog still not toilet trained!

Hi there,

My 1 1/2 year old Border Terrier keeps weeing all over my house. I don't get why, since we got her we have been training her to go outside, and praise her every time she has been, and yet she will still rather go and have a wee rather than wait for us to take her. Even worse, sometimes we try taking her and she doesn't go, and then she'll come inside and have a wee.

It is very annoying and was woundering if there were any ideas or reasons as to why this happens, and how we can sort it out!

Thanks
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2010, 04:03 PM
How often do you take her outside?

I have a 10 week old lab who is nearly trained.

He goes from 11pm til about 5 when he whines to go out.

I took him out every hour for the first week we had him then every other hour for the second week.

Have you checked she has not got a water infection?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
We've gone back to night time poos with our Tess. she's 9 months and has just started this again.

She goes all day outside and has 3 to 4 nights of good, then whoooops-a-daisy...a poo in the kitchen

I've gone back to rewards with her as well as praise, not making any fuss and hopefully she will get back to being poo free at night in time
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi was wandering how long you have had her, and has she always been like this, or just recently?

Also, do you ever catch her in the act? If so, how do you deal with it.
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
You must be so frustrated
What are you using to clean up when she has gone in the house?
~Most cleaners dont totally get rid of it all, there is some stuff you can get from the petshop that breaks it down completely. We used that and it seemed to work.
We did the usual of making sure he was let out every hour and after meals/drinks/play/sleep/ anything exciting etc And praising after he went in the garden and not fussing about when he had been in the house but putting him straight outside.

Has she always been like this or like has been said could it perhaps be a water infection,and she cant hold it?
Good luck xx
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I take her every hour but she'll still come into do it, also when I caught her (once or twice) I usually take her outside and say toilet, not sure if it's right.

I too thought she may have some sort of infection, but what I don't get is why she just stands at the door when I take her outside, and then 10 mins later she has gone inside.

To clean it I use normal carpet cleaner, but she goes all over the place, and usually does it on soft services rather than hard.
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2010, 09:51 PM
hi Lizzie,

apparently normal carpet cleaner doesnt totally get rid of the smell (to doggie noses ar least!) Perhaps try some specifically for dog urine - the enzymes in it are meant to break down the smell so the dog cant smell it - therefore not being tempted to wee in the same spot again (or something like that!)