Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 07:14 PM

Two hour restaurant policies

Is this becoming increasingly common?

Once every so often a group of us go for a meal. Lots of times we have been to an Indian restaurant close to where most of the group live and have always enjoyed a Saturday night out with no time pressures. The group have suggested that this time we go somewhere slightly nearer to where Dave and I live for a change, again on a Saturday night. I tried to book a table at the Mexican only to be told that we could only have the table for two hours. I put it to the group and we all felt that it will be too rushed (there will be five of us this time) for three courses, drinks and chat. So I told them we wouldn't need the table and have just tried to book a table at our local Indian only to be told there we only have two hours unless we eat at 8:30....

If it was just Dave and I going two hours would probably be plenty of time but for a group of five it will take longer to choose, cook the food, more nattering etc etc so what happens if we are there longer than two hours - do they just kick us out?

Have other people experienced this? What are your thoughts on it? I just don't know how relaxed an evening it will be if we are constantly clock watching.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Jane I have never experienced a time limit myself in fact when my son took me for a birthday meal it felt like 2 hours between each course

If I go out for a meal I am a paying guest and will eat at my leisure or I won't eat there at all.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jane I have never experienced a time limit myself in fact when my son took me for a birthday meal it felt like 2 hours between each course

If I go out for a meal I am a paying guest and will eat at my leisure or I won't eat there at all.
I've never experienced it either but I whole heartedly agree with Mini
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I suppose much would depend on whether or not it is a busy restaurant. It makes good business sense to have two sittings instead of one.

I know our local pub books tables for 7 pm and the table is rebooked at 9 pm - hence probably why the two hour rule didn't apply to the Indian restaurant if you took the later sitting
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2012, 07:34 PM
This is quite common practice to be honest, we eat out a lot, and many places work on a two sitting policy, especially at weekends.

As you say two hrs is usually enough if only two go you, but can be a bit rushed if a large party.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 07:48 PM
It's only happened to me once, which was at a busy restaurant in cheltenham town centre on the friday night of the cheltenham festival! which was more than fair enough imo.

I LOVE eating out, but if i wanted a smash and grab i wouldn't go to eat out, and while I'm not sure i often spend 2 hours there, i'd hate to feel like i needed to be out.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Very common here.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Never experienced this in my entire life, and I used to go out with the girls once a month, 8 of us, and was never told we had to be out in 2 hours Personally, I'd tell 'em to poke it, they're making enough money out of groups, they shouldn't use such a policy with large groups of people.

There I was thinking we were in some kind of recession where small businesses were glad of the trade, and that would mean ANY trade, so why jeopardise business?? It's ridiculous. Different if it was Gorden, I could understand that one
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
No, never experienced this. I wouldn't be too impressed and wouldn't bother with the restaurant - even f I was only going to be two hours.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Very interesting to hear everyone's mixed experiences - thanks all

At the moment we don't have anything booked because like others we are reluctant to give our custom to a place that might end up pouring our coffees into cardboard cups and pushing us out of the door I'll keep looking!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >