Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Free loft Insulation company taking advantage of neighbour

Last week we had people cold calling at the door telling us we were entitled to free loft insulation i told them i was not interested but my neighbour let them in and the man checked her loft and told her she didn't have enough cover and needed more ...
But she has just had her loft done less than a month ago ...
That was also free and by all accounts she was happy with them ...

Now this new company is just trying it on and taking advantage of an older lady living on her own while claiming the grant cost from the government no doubt .

Have you been contacted by these kinda companies ???
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Last week we had people cold calling at the door telling us we were entitled to free loft insulation i told them i was not interested but my neighbour let them in and the man checked her loft and told her she didn't have enough cover and needed more ...
But she has just had her loft done less than a month ago ...
That was also free and by all accounts she was happy with them ...

Now this new company is just trying it on and taking advantage of an older lady living on her own while claiming the grant cost from the government no doubt .

Have you been contacted by these kinda companies ???
Yes, they contacted a couple of our tenants the other week. They wanted to come in and survey the lofts. We told the tenants to tell them to contact us, but we haven't heard anything more from them. I thought it was a good idea to be honest but did wonder whether it was some sort of scam so wanted to talk to them personally.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Pass the information on the your local Trading Standards Dept at the Council. They can tell you if the company is legitimate or not.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 12:36 PM
My nan had smilar - loft already insulated but this company just told her book an appointment and make sure to have the current stuff shifted by then and they'd sort out the newer, thicker stuff for free. My stepdad went around to check out what she had and it was plenty thick enough really. Guessing these companies must make more out of the grants than it costs them
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think the companies are not legitimate just pulling a fast one on the government and using my neighbour as a way of doing it ....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...oft-insulation

.....These are estimates based on insulating a gas-heated, semi-detached home with three bedrooms, showing savings when you insulate an uninsulated loft, and when you top up 100mm of insulation to 270mm. (The recommended depth for mineral wool insulation is 270mm but other materials need different depths.)

If your loft is already insulated, it's worth checking that you've got enough insulation to get the maximum saving. If everyone in the UK installed 270mm loft insulation, we could save nearly £500 million – and 2.7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide every year, the equivalent of taking nearly 100,000 cars off the road.

so maybe it is worth it?
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
While I was still living in the UK I had them come to my house, which did not have central heating and that was free at the time too for any one on benefits, my landlord agreed to allow it it to be done, at the same time they checked the loft and came back saying that there was plenty of insulation in it. So they only did the central heating system.

Now for the grants if the neighbour had just had it done with a grant then they wont be able to get it done again, there are records kept on what properties have already had a grant and you can't get another one for at least 2 years. Were the new company told that it was recently done? And could it be that the first company did not actually do a proper job?