Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mumof5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2010, 10:30 AM
i hope she has a fast recovery.

thank you for posting the pictures, i have been telling my dad for ages about not throwing sticks for his dog but he always brushed it off but these have actually made him realise how dangerous it can be
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Poor Ripley, what horrible injuries, I'm wishing her a speedy recovery poor girl.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Poor, poor girl xxxxx I hope she heals really quickly xxxxxx
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Poor girl, i hope she recovers quickly. We occasionally throw sticks and i do sometimes think how dangerous it can be.
Wont do it anymore
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
how awful for her and you....!!!!

I'm done with sticks, you've really made your point!!!!! thankyou!

I do have a question though.... Tess only likes playing with sticks when we throw them in the water... other then that we leave them well alone....

But.... after previous posts about sticks, and your terrible experience I've stopped throwing sticks and started using toys..... the result: 13 lost tennis balls and one of those floating throw bag thingies (can't remember the official name... sorry).... Tess will swim up to them no problem... but then leaves them mid-water.... any stick mind you she will come back with..

I'm hoping someone on here has a useful tip what to use instead of the sticks as they are a definite no no from now on, but losing balls and toys on every walk is getting a little costly (it's super hot here right now and so I really do want her to swim halfway through the walk....)..... I thought about attaching some rope to the balls but then I'm worried she may get entangled in it.....

gsdmad, I'm so very sorry about all you've been through, and really hope she makes a quick recovery... and thankyou so much for the warning!!!!!
I was actually thinking of your problem, and may have an idea, if you can get a toy the floats, if fun, and with a handle, then maybe you could use a longline and attach the clip to the handle and throw it into the water, being careful though that your dog doesn't get tangled up in the lead in the water, that way if she leaves it you can just use the long line to bring the toy back you, so no lost toy if the dog looses intrest.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Poor Ripley, thats so shocking. I don't throw sticks but like some of the others Dizzy will pick them up and run off occasionally. Wow certainly not anymore. Am off uni until Sept now and there will be a few leave it training sessions for her. Thanks for taking the time to show us the pics, I really didn't think that much damage could be done without throwing it!!!! No excuse I've seen it with my own eyes now!!!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Just thought I would give an update...

Rip had the stitches out a week ago now, the wound has healed nicely. There is still a lump that she will most likely have forever but may reduce in time.
The wounds to the inside of her mouth have healed ok, she is now on dry food, albeit soaked to soften.
She lost a lot of weight throught it all due to the stress on her body and lack of appetite due to it being painful when she ate.
Fingers crossed she will continue to make a full recovery.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:14 AM
OMG, have only just read this - what an horrific injury Poor Rip

Glad to hear stitches out and healing well, gentle hugs to him (and you!) Must have been a terrible ordeal seeing him hurt like that

I do hope it helps stop people from allowing their dogs to fetch sticks. I've heard of this sort of thing happening before sadly.
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I bought a rubber stick for my boy so its nice and safe. I got it online - I think the make is ruff dog (or something like that!) Much safer than the real thing They also come in a couple of different sizes.
Hope your wee one makes a speedy recovery x
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Poor Ripley.I'm so sorry this has happened, how awful for you both.I too wish her a speedy recovery.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >