View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Jesus!!!! at least you dont have the guilt that you threw it for her or anything.

So for all of you that think the risks of sticks are worth it "if" your dog has fun.....how much fun is poor ripley having now?

I would be very interested (& pleased) if the pro stickers no change their minds, because of ripley?

I hope they do!
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Poor Ripley - hoping she has a speedy recovery

We don't throw sticks here either - heard too many of these stories, just not worth it imo.

Dee x
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
That looks horrible! I hope she soon gets better.

An agility trainer I know told someone throwing sticks about an accident she had seen recently like your dog's.

He carried on throwing the sticks and said

"That's all right-it's not my dog, it's my Son's"!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Jesus!!!! at least you dont have the guilt that you threw it for her or anything.

So for all of you that think the risks of sticks are worth it "if" your dog has fun.....how much fun is poor ripley having now?

I would be very interested (& pleased) if the pro stickers no change their minds, because of ripley?

I hope they do!
I really hope they do.

Ive never actually trained a firm 'leave it' with sticks, though all my dogs do know the leave it and will do so when told, or will drop it on command.
One thing i am going to do with new baby mav is teach him that he is never ever to pick up sticks.

Its one of those things that most people think " it will never happen to me" and although i dont allow or encourage them to play with sticks, i thought like that. well, not anymore, my girlie has a long road to recovery ahead now but i guess she is one of the lucky ones..my vet even said to me today, he really did not think i would be seeing her alive again, let alone bringing her home.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:56 PM
god you are so lucky
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Bless her (and bless you - it looks very traumatic!!!).

I hope she makes a full and quick recovery soon!!!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Aw poor Ripley! My goodness, who would think such damage would come from a stick! I've learnt something here definately, no sticks being thrown for Dougal...he's not a big stick fiend anyway so it's not really a big deal but if he does find one it gets chomped.

Not any more it wont.

Healing hugs for Ripley!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
oh my goodness, it must be almost unbearable having to see her lying like that, my heart goes out to you. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

In the park yesterday a dog picked up a huge stick and was running with it. I said to the owner if she runs into something the stick will jam in her mouth and could seriously hurt her. Ah well she has to learn and if it hurts she might not do it again she replied.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I wish your girl a very speedy recovery,bless her can't imagine how you must have felt. I am sure that this will make people understand the dangers. xxx

When Luchi was at puppy training classes, the trainer warned us of the danger of sticks, (although I knew this) it really is not worth it, ever!!

We also had a near miss a few months back, Luchi picked up and ran with a stick, and as she lowered her head the stick hit the ground, and we heard a "snap" she immediately dropped it and looked startled. My heart was in my mouth, as i thought part of it had lodged in her palate. Luckily no damage. the whole thing only lasted a few seconds, but just brings home how quickly real damage (or worse) can be done. She mostly ignores them now, but I am always very vigilant.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:45 PM
how awful for her and you....!!!!

I'm done with sticks, you've really made your point!!!!! thankyou!

I do have a question though.... Tess only likes playing with sticks when we throw them in the water... other then that we leave them well alone....

But.... after previous posts about sticks, and your terrible experience I've stopped throwing sticks and started using toys..... the result: 13 lost tennis balls and one of those floating throw bag thingies (can't remember the official name... sorry).... Tess will swim up to them no problem... but then leaves them mid-water.... any stick mind you she will come back with..

I'm hoping someone on here has a useful tip what to use instead of the sticks as they are a definite no no from now on, but losing balls and toys on every walk is getting a little costly (it's super hot here right now and so I really do want her to swim halfway through the walk....)..... I thought about attaching some rope to the balls but then I'm worried she may get entangled in it.....

gsdmad, I'm so very sorry about all you've been through, and really hope she makes a quick recovery... and thankyou so much for the warning!!!!!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »