Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 03:29 PM

Dining Tables - thing of the past?

I've had a friend visit today and when she saw our dining table, she remarked it was nice to see as they seem to be a thing of the past.
We have an extendable oak table, oval in shape, though I do have a hankering for a round one
It gets plenty of use - it'd feel odd without a dining table.

Are dining tables dying out? Do you have and use one?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 03:32 PM
We have an oak one ,and yes we do use it We have even got a spare in the garage I think nothing looks nicer than a well laid table

Jeanette
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 03:48 PM
We've got one too (also oak). I must admit we don't use it every day though - usually only when the girls (stepdaughters) are here or other friends/family.

Can't imagine not having one though - I think its nice to sit round the table and chat during/after a meal
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
we have one, permanently out in our dining area, and we sit at it most nights, although have to say sometimes am a bit lazy and if OH not in then me and luca may sit and eat our tea in the lounge as he has a little table in there too. BUt I think its important as a family to sit at the table really. Its what we had to do as kids and i like that.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
oooooo no, couldn't be without my dining table, we do sometimes have tea on laps, but not that often...mines oak too
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
We eat all our meals at the table, it is easier and nicer for us.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Same as you, I've got an oak extendable oval (well, you put the bits in the middle if you want them!), and I love it! It gets used only when friends come and especially at Christmas, apart from that it just sits here all year round looking nice with my cream leather dining chairs all around it! I've wanted a dining room for years and I'm gonna keep it, even though my puter desk is in here, I think it's a luxury having a nice big table and chairs ready and waiting.....love it!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
We have two in use, one in the dining room which is a posh light oak and slate table with grey leather chairs, Which we bought a couple of years ago for about 2 grand and one in the conservatory which is glass and cast iron and is used for more casual dining but they both get used. We've always had a dining room though.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 04:52 PM
We have a dining table and until quite recently, we all sat around it every night to eat dinner. Felt it was the best way to teach the kids table manners, etc. Have to be honest though, for probably the last few months now we've taken to eating our dinner round the t.v. in the lounge (with individual coffee tables). Still eat Sunday dinner at the table and when visitors come to eat. Definitely will use it Christmas. Love setting up my Christmas dinner table with all the lovely serviettes, crackers and candles.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
We have a dining table and until quite recently, we all sat around it every night to eat dinner. Felt it was the best way to teach the kids table manners, etc. Have to be honest though, for probably the last few months now we've taken to eating our dinner round the t.v. in the lounge (with individual coffee tables). Still eat Sunday dinner at the table and when visitors come to eat. Definitely will use it Christmas. Love setting up my Christmas dinner table with all the lovely serviettes, crackers and candles.
Oh so do I It's the only time of the year I actually WANT people round for meals!!!! I can't set that table up enough times, I just love it!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >