Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 05:38 PM

My excellent vet practice.

When we first adopted Missy we were told she would need to be muzzled for a visit to the vet, as handling terrified her. We were shown how to get her to wear a muzzle - and we carried on with muzzle training.
But our vets - what a wonderful practice.:smt041

I told them that I had adopted an older dog who was scared of the vets, to the point she could bite - and they said, no problem. You can carry on using our practice.
Bring her down twice a week with some really yummy food and we'll play with her and feed her - we'll turn her around.

By the time she needed her shots twelve weeks later she was able to get up on the table without a muzzle.
Last time we had to go to the vet was about four months ago, and she still behaved perfectly.

Today I get a call from the vet nurse -we haven't seen Missy for a while - want to bring her down to be fed and played with?

So as I was free I did just that. She got fed turkey breast for sitting, for giving a paw, for speaking and for laying down.
We gradually edged into the vet's room and she did the same there - and then she got weighed and rewarded.

I feel so lucky - one for owning Missy and two for having such an excellent vet practice, where they view my dog's success as their success. :smt041
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
How cute and a lovely thread Missy is one lucky girl xx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
thats really good, my last vet did that with Zak, sadly he moved on and the new one just isn't interested
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
What a lovely vets, though I'm not surprised that they want to see Missy as often as possible to play with her and give her cuddles... I would too
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
That's really good of your vets, having an older rescue dog myself who is also scared of the vets I can relate to your situation. Our vet was lovely and really good with Max but she has emigrated now and the others just don't have the same bond with him as she did.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Thats really good that they are so dedicated, a vet like that would've been a great help when we had Joe.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 06:00 PM
its great to hear of a vet that takes time to habituate a dog like that!!!

well done to them!!

and of course missy for being a good girl!!