Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Squeaky toys in the ring???

Was at a show on Saturday with Connor and as there were no Gordons we were in AV Gundog - first time I have done an AV - but trying to get some practice in with Connor before our breed champ show next weekend.

One of the handlers had a squeaky toy and was squeaking away and even throwing it around - must admit was quite surprised to see this? Not something I have witnessed in Gordons - Connor was quite interested in the toy but luckily was more interested in my ham - which I wasn't squeaking or throwing around LOL! just safely stored in my pocket!

Is this more common in some breeds - didn't think it would be in a gundog breed though?

We had a good day though - got 2nd in AVNSC Gundog and 1st in AV Minor Puppy!

He was a star - only a little jumping around with the fun of it - but at least he was enjoying himself
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Well done on your 2nd. Have only seen sqeaky toys used in a puppy class or in some of the toy classes.

Personally I think they are very distracting to other exhibitors dogs, especially if they are being thrown about the ring.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Terrier rings seem to have lots of squeaks these days! Still not a patch on the double handling in a GSD ring, the first time I saw that I was stunned!
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Well done on your 2nd. Have only seen sqeaky toys used in a puppy class or in some of the toy classes.

Personally I think they are very distracting to other exhibitors dogs, especially if they are being thrown about the ring.
Thanks Eunice - first time been in the ring and did raise my eyebrows at it - esp. with puppies I thought gosh that's one way of distracting the competition as such! We were stood right next to him when he was doing it - just glad it wasn't Angus I had with me - he would have been a nightmare to try and get his attention back LOL.

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Terrier rings seem to have lots of squeaks these days! Still not a patch on the double handling in a GSD ring, the first time I saw that I was stunned!
Becky
Have yet to see the GSD double handling not something have ever witnessed but having heard so much about it - hope I get to see it just to believe it I guess!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Never seen squeeky toys used in the ring, but I've seen judges using clickers to get dogs to prick up their ears when they are looking at their ear carriage.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Shona had me doing this with Asta at her club last week,worked a treat,xxxxxxxxxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
At our local shows for some reason Boxers are always in before us and there are 2 exhibitors that Always use squeaky toys for their dogs, which is really annoying, especially when they throw them around, toward the edge of the ring and then wonder why dogs at the side of the ring start barking !!! It's one of my showing bug bears Im afraid !
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
To my mind, using anything in the ring that makes a noise that could put other dogs off, even things that would just making them fidget when their owners are trying to get them to stand, is not fair to the other exhibitors.

I was judging at an Open show a few years ago and had to ask one exhibitor not to squeek her toy as it was upsetting almost all the other dogs in the ring - she was NOT pleased! She tried to argue the point so I explained that she could either stop the noise or I'd make a formal complaint. She stopped, thank goodness, and I got a round of applause from the other exhibitors in the class LOL.

It's not just the other dogs in that ring that it distracts but those in the rings next door too.

I have no problem with someone dropping something in front of the dog when it's stood for the judge to go over, but not when it's in the line up with other dogs.

Debs
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
Oh wow 1st time i saw the gsd ring on Saturday and it was unbelievable!! the shouting the waving of things some woman even had a horn!!! i was literally gobsmacked i've seen it in europe with our breed and i thought that was bad (they even hold their children up to shout )
Never thought i would see it in the UK tho...
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
Oh wow 1st time i saw the gsd ring on Saturday and it was unbelievable!! the shouting the waving of things some woman even had a horn!!! i was literally gobsmacked i've seen it in europe with our breed and i thought that was bad (they even hold their children up to shout )
Never thought i would see it in the UK tho...
That's double handling and isn't allowed here. Although even at Crufts this year our breed witnessed a European exhibitor doing just that and goading the dog from the outside of the ring !!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >