Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by spaniels rule
Hi,

My husband wont let me have her upstairs which I can understand as there would be arguments with my lads as they would want her in their room.
Cheers :smt100 :smt100

Serena
As everyone has covered the crate subject I would just like to say that allowing puppies up stairs is really not a good idea.Puppys should not be allowed to climb stairs as it can cause joint damage(esp going down stairs which puts enormous pressure on the shoulders) and it is also all too easy for a puppy to slip and fall and break bones.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by spaniels rule
Hi,
We are thinking of getting Cherry a training cage for when she comes home to live. Part of me wants to but part of me dont. I want her to be safe when I have to go out and when I am in bed. My husband wont let me have her upstairs which I can understand as there would be arguments with my lads as they would want her in their room. Can anyone make any suggestions on this and their experiences of training cages as well.
Cheers :smt100 :smt100
Serena
It is a good idea to have your new puppy upstairs for the first few night until it settles and bonds with you..But as Archer says do not let it walk up and down stairs...in a crate or box is ideal
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 07:48 PM
i would reccomend a cage,we had a puppy pen and the frst time i went out and left delaney in it i came home to find packets of dog treats chewed up and scattered all over the floor,how he got out i will never know but i suspect diesel may have helped him.with a cage, you know the dog is safe and can't do any damage to your property or itself!neither of mine need to be in a crate now,i found them particularly useful during teething!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 04:30 PM
But, it just seems sooo mean leaving a puppy in a cage while you go out. I mean, it wouldn't be able to stretch it's legs. Dalmatians are particularly energetic dogs and when she's old enough if we have to leave her alone, she'll be in the garden with 6ft brick walls and a kennel for shade. But meanwhile, wouldn't they go crazy being left in a crate? They don't look all that big!

Hmm, I like the idea for the car, but am still to be persuaded for the house!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 04:31 PM
by the way - I would prefer her not to chew up the house or electrocute herself on wires! It's just, I don't like the idea of caging her, even though she'd never be left for much more than an hour tops.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Lottie, loads of dogs/pups prefer their cages, it's a means of retreat, and a safe haven for them - it's only 'mean' if the owner uses the crates 'incorrectly' (as a way of punishing them, or copious amounts of hours locked up).

It may seem hard to see past the bars but many, many dogs love their crates.

If you aren't leaving him in there for more than an hour at one time when you are out then you really have nothing to worry about.

It's obviously entirely your choice but perhaps do some more internet research into it to see what you can uncover, it might dispell some of the anxieties you have about it.

Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2005, 06:35 PM
my 2 love the crate, they see it as their bed In fact Star has decided she wants to sleep in it again I dont have any other beds in the house just the crate. If Finn gets locked in its only for an hour maximum.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks Maplecottage, yes I have looked into it a lot (I still don't think it's my choice as mum doesn't want one and she is not an easy woman to sway!).

I think part of what it is, is that crates are so expensive that I don't want to shell out for one and she be one of the few dogs who don't use crates! lol

The other thing is, as you said, seeing past the bars. It's not a nice object to have stuck in your house either even with the crate covers! lol

Thankyou, we haven't ruled it out completely (or at least I haven't!)
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2005, 09:08 PM
I have always seen a crate as a positive training aid. We use a giant breed sized one for Molo, so hes got plenty of room to lie flat, have his water etc

I believe that it is our responsibility as owners to do everything we can to help our pups "succeed" in their training. When they are young, they want to explore and chew, and it our job to train them NOT to chew and NOT to play with dangerous or unsuitable items. How can we possibly do this if we do not restrict their access to tempting items when we are not there to supervise?

Molo is over 12 months old now, and he is still 'confined' to his crate at night. During periods that we are out during the day, he now has the freedom of the kitchen/diner, but he was given this in stages - first for only 5 minutes at a time when he was left unsupervised, slowing building up to where we are now.

When we collected Molo from his breeder, he was the last pup to leave the litter, and had been allowed to run free with her other dogs. But, Molo spent his time, even with the freedom of the garden and the conservatory - under the sofa This convinced me that dogs of all ages do like their own little space to retreat to.....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I would definitely use a crate for my next pup, they're a great training aid!
It's usually us humans that have a problem with the crate, not the dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >