Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 01:27 PM

the heat ( dog smells )

just wonderd if anyone else has noticed any more doggie smells than normal in this heat reason I am asking is that i took pippa back last night to the vets to get some more ear drops ( all is fine no infection ) just soft ear wax that keeps coming my vet says prob due to the hot weather ... whilst there i mentioned that her back feathers seem pee pee smelling like she isn't cleaning properly the vet did a full exam and said all seems fine it may be that she is drinking more pee'ing more and its drying on the coat faster than normal cos of the heat ..... bearing in mind its been very hot here down south for nearly 6 weeks...all girls get bum wiped every day as normal the others seem ok but they don't have such a long coat ..plausable do you think ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2006, 01:34 PM
I can't say I have Inca do you know where the smell is coming from?
Dogs sweat through their feet, so you can get a sweaty foot smell in hot weather (which I quite like, odd I know ) so you could wash or wipe the feet if it is coming from there...
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 01:38 PM
no its not the feet its def a wee wee smells from the back feathers nothing comming from the vulva and unterus and bladder all seem fine ( vet says ) he thinks its lack of hygeine from her
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I did think Poppy smelt a bit more "doggy" than usual the other day so gave her a bath sooner after the last one than I normally would. I did notice that at night when I take her out for her last wee wee in the garden, she's too busy chasing the moths to worry about washing herself after her wee wee, and there was some dribbles of wee wee on the patio from where she'd squatted to the patio doors, mainly off her back feathers.

Also her ears a bit smeller than usual, the fur just outside her ears feels more oily than normal.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
I cant say I have noticed it? Though at the moment my house smells of welding all the time
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Maybe it's a long-hair thing Bongo smells fine unless she's wet, and then she mings along with the stinkiest dogs

Donna, I looove the smell of welding
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Hollie smells more 'doggy' when it's hot, sort of comes in wafts.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Harry25
I did think Poppy smelt a bit more "doggy" than usual the other day so gave her a bath sooner after the last one than I normally would. I did notice that at night when I take her out for her last wee wee in the garden, she's too busy chasing the moths to worry about washing herself after her wee wee, and there was some dribbles of wee wee on the patio from where she'd squatted to the patio doors, mainly off her back feathers.

Also her ears a bit smeller than usual, the fur just outside her ears feels more oily than normal.
good idea to give them a wipe round ..melting ear wax yuk hope no one is eating lol
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 07:00 PM
would think it is a combination of her not cleaning herself and the heat - baby wipes will help. Because Suki is short haired we never have that problem but boy do her feet smell!!!!!!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I've been keeping a packet of baby wipes by the patio doors along with a towel for when it's wet to dry her feet.

Ears and eyes are getting a multi clean each day. I find she seems to sweat under her eyes when it's hot. I suppose dogs react quite similar to humans in some respects when it's hot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >