Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 06:53 PM

How much do you feed (lbs) - raw food

Hi

Well I'm fighting desperately to get the last bit of extra weight off Luna

When we started out on raw in september, Luna was given 675 grams (1,49 lbs) a day. But around christmas I had her weighed and was quite shocked.. She was a staggering 29,75 kg (65,59 lbs) before we switched she was 27 kg (59,52 lbs)

I've cut the food down over time, and now she's having 420 grams (14,82 oz) a day. And have lost some.. but still need the last bit..

I think she's down to about 28 kg (61,73 lbs) now, but she hasnt been weighed for a while.. I will rather go for looks and feel.. Luna's a labrador, btw, and not really the most energetic dog, she's happy trotting/waddling (it looks like she's waddling with her tummy, when she walks - I call her my "tummywaddler" )

I'm feeding

60% RMB
30% Meat (meat, fish, etc)
10% veggies and offal

Should I cut her food down even more?? This is why I'm a bit curious as to how much you feed?

I'm considering to give more veggies, as she seems like she's hungry (yes I know she's a lab, but recently she's started getting really obcessed on walks)
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2006, 08:02 PM
My Boxers weigh about 32-34 kg. They each get approximately 12 oz of raw meat plus two tablespoons of veg a day, split into two meals. If I give sardines, egg, etc. then the amount of meat is reduced accordingly. They would also get a couple of ounces of food in the way of training treats each day. So, they get no more than 1lb of food each per day
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Yikes

No more than 1 lbs?? Holy cow no wonder Luna's gotten chubby!!!

Well then I guess I could cut it down a bit more... Your dogs weigh 4-6 kg more than Luna..

Its just them labby eyes... Oh well I guess I could give her a bit more veggies for filler.. They shouldnt put weight on..

Thank you SB
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

23-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Yes, veg wil fill her up without putting on the weight. She won't require as much food anyway during your summer months as she won't be burning fat to keep warm
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Not sure this will help or confuse you B/L but here goes

The girls weigh between 27-31kg & they get between 12oz to 16oz raw meat WITH a quail weighing about 8oz. The quail is alternated with rabbit weighing about 8oz or chicken legs & they weigh about 8oz. Fish they have between 1 pound & 1lb 4oz.

As you see I feed more meat to bone, veggies/fruit they have about 2 large ladle full but thats because they just like them so much

The amount you feed Luna depends on her, they`ve all got different metabolisms

Must say she didn`t look overweight in the pics I`ve seen of her but that could just be it didn`t show in them
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Yeah right now she has 2 tablespoons of veggies per meal, I'm going to up that a bit..

And then I'm going to start biking with her.. And made our nightwalk into an actual walk instead of only down to pee. We went for a 25 minutes walk ON lead, that was actually kinda nice

What ever I can do to get her fit..

Yes.. Roll on summer!!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

23-03-2006, 07:18 AM
If you are going to give her extra, or more vigorous, exercise be sure that you build up to it gradually
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Christine
Not sure this will help or confuse you B/L but here goes

The girls weigh between 27-31kg & they get between 12oz to 16oz raw meat WITH a quail weighing about 8oz. The quail is alternated with rabbit weighing about 8oz or chicken legs & they weigh about 8oz. Fish they have between 1 pound & 1lb 4oz.

As you see I feed more meat to bone, veggies/fruit they have about 2 large ladle full but thats because they just like them so much

The amount you feed Luna depends on her, they`ve all got different metabolisms

Must say she didn`t look overweight in the pics I`ve seen of her but that could just be it didn`t show in them
Thank you Christine

Yeah I can see you do.

i'll look a bit more at this post when I have lunch

But here's a pic of her taken from above.. Taken on 13. february:

Never mind the mess
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Hard to tell in the pics J But her coat looks gorgeous & glossy
I`ll stick me kneck out & say I can see she has a nice definate waist & doesn`t look overweight in the pic

Bear in mind my lot have free access to around 5 acres & then go in the bigger field of 10 acres twice a day so have a lot of exercise to burn theeir calories off & the meat I feed them is rather lean meat. So take all that into consideration if you compareing what others feed to what Luna gets
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
If you are going to give her extra, or more vigorous, exercise be sure that you build up to it gradually
I will

I might not even get started on the biking.. Cos I hate biking when its windy, and boy oh boy its windy here!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >