Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
So what's your point then?
They may be done now but they weren't at the time of both incidents. My point is that they should have been rules or changes put in place years ago, not after two incidents.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:58 PM
You're obviously a lot richer than me then darling!

Me, I like proof before I write out a cheque for what is probably going to be well in excess of £700.

But, they do say fools and their money are soon parted, so if you would be happy to pay what could be a fraudulent set of bills, then I'm glad I'm not you!
Hmmm how can I be rich but at the same time also be easily parted with my money?

Anyway, no I'm not rich but I do take responsibility for my mistakes. I didn't say pay them blindly or with no proof?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You said earlier, that she would have seen you indicating she should have waited , yet now you say she came out of the gloaming like that so maybe she did not see you either, till it was to late.

I agree about the vets bills I would want to see the originals , or speak to her vet, but the rest of it, to be honest, (and its nothing to do with whether I like you or not) is down to you, you have neighbours who have right of way across your drive, you know your dog can be aggressive, so you should have taken more care, instead you place blame on her for daring to walk down your drive or past your fence.
O Jackbox, it's dark now, really can't take a photo to show you, but I will try to describe it in words. You come down our lane, which is a cul de sac at the end. Our drive starts off as a long thin blocked paving strip then branches out into a much larger almost circular area of block paving. At the entrance to our property is a wall on the left and a wall on the right. In our next door neighbours on the right of our drive entrance is a large tree which is in full flower and leaf now hanging over that side of the drive - about, say, a couple of feet over your head. The sun had set down behind our house, which was directly in front of her, so was not in her eyes. She could not have failed to have seen us, it would be impossible. However, we could not see her because a) we were not looking for her and b) she was standing under this tree and was sort of shadowed by it so that she blended into the gloaming, the dusk. It was at the instance that I was ushering up the dogs, with my arms full, to get them into the house that I spotted her, at the exact same moment as the dogs spotted her. They raced forward to greet the dogs, they took no notice of her whatsoever.

And yes, although I take the maximum amount of blame, I place about 5% of blame onto her for not waiting - she could see we were just about to go into the house, our front door is positioned such that she would have had full view of our whole drive, the house, everything - she knew she would only have to wait a few seconds, if that. She should have either called out, or just waited those few seconds. In the same circumstances, with reversed roles, that is exactly what I would have done, stood and patiently waited for just a few seconds.

Comprenez? No blame have I EVER placed on her walking across our drive, or EVER blamed her for walking past our garden. I was merely pointing out that if she hated my dog so much, surely it is a bit silly to walk past our garden when she can quite as easily walk out the same back gate in her garden and turn right, rather than left. I am not saying that she shouldn't walk past our garden, just that it is a strange thing to do when she didn't need to.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
She has every right to be upset her dog was attacked and most people are naturally unforgiving when that happens.

Even light attacks shocks people and creates an unpleasent experience so you can hardly blame her for not wanting to talk to you.

Im honestly suprised that members are so accepting of this incident.

Put yourself in their shoes you will probably find that you too would have a hard time lettings something like this go so easily.
Those of us who are responsible dog owners would mos tlikely have done exactly the same thing - taken responsibility and tried to make it right, also learning from what was a very unpleasant experience.

I HAVE been in their shoes. I have nieghbours who have tried to kill my dogs, not least when Yiannis was left lying in a pool of his own blood on night.

I also had Koda attacked at 8 months old last December by a much older, adult, much larger, entire GSD. The owner had no control, had no regard/consideration for me, my safety or that of my dog.

What I can tell you for sure is that yes, people do get angry and upset. Watching dogs squabble can be very upsetting, particularly if you're not very dog savvy and don't really know what you're watching. But people that take things this far, when an injury was relatively minor and has been dealt with both medically and financially, when apologies have been made etc - there's not much else that you can do.

Even if the neighbour is the sort of person who takes along time to calm down, I doubt she's spoken to people in the village saying how the injuriy was fully paid for, fencing was erected to prevent any further escapes etc.

It's not that members are accepting of the situation. But lessons have been learned and practices hve been put in place to prevent any further problems. There really is nothign else anyone can do about it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Hmmm how can I be rich but at the same time also be easily parted with my money?

Anyway, no I'm not rich but I do take responsibility for my mistakes. I didn't say pay them blindly or with no proof?
Because if you are rich, you wouldn't mind!!

How do you suggest we get this proof? Ring her? Ask her if I can come round and see the originals? And get told to f off for about the 10th time?

Or how's about knocking on her door? And get told I'm an f'ing dot dot dot dot?

I don't think so. We have written to her twice, our insurance company have written twice, that's 4 letters to which we have had no reply. Don't you think that a little strange? If it were you, would you not write back and say yup, we would really rather you didn't come into our house, but we will meet you outside and show you the originals?

No, nothing, zilch, zero, not a dickie bird. Sorry, but I am not that stupid.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
They may be done now but they weren't at the time of both incidents. My point is that they should have been rules or changes put in place years ago, not after two incidents.
We haven't had Ben for years - only 2 years this July.

The first incident on the drive took place I'm not sure when, this year, but probably February time, really cannot remember. The garden jumping incident was about 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Don't worry, nothing else will happen on our account. What she will do to Ben, god only knows. I think it really is best that we just avoid each other, which is what I am trying to do. I really cannot be responsible though for her actions.

I think the suggestion of the railway sleepers was an excellent one. There is a reclaims place near us who sells them, I will see how much they are - I will need about 4 I would think maximum so it shouldn't cost too much. I really don't want to have to gate off that bit of the garden, because it is in the shade so nice for the 2 hairy monsters.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
But you said the dog is black and your dog hates black dogs-----so why do you think he was being friendly to this one?

rune
Because he was, that's why. And they were extremely friendly last weekend, all 4 of them snuffling away through that narrow gap. My dogs tails were going like the very devil, the 2 boys the other side were squeaking and jumping up in excitement, I could hear them although I couldn't see them. It was a delight and a pleasure to see, and then She has to come along after I had gone, thinking aha now is my chance to seriously hurt this dog, with no thought to the fact that she may clobber Tai, not Ben, there is no way she could see through the panelling, it is solid.

I'm off to bed now, thanx everyone and have a good night one and all x gnasher x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:19 PM
It was at the instance that I was ushering up the dogs, with my arms full, to get them into the house that I spotted her, at the exact same moment as the dogs spotted her. They raced forward to greet the dogs, they took no notice of her whatsoever.

And yes, although I take the maximum amount of blame, I place about 5% of blame onto her for not waiting - she could see we were just about to go into the house, our front door is positioned such that she would have had full view of our whole drive, the house, everything - she knew she would only have to wait a few seconds, if that. She should have either called out, or just waited those few seconds. In the same circumstances, with reversed roles, that is exactly what I would have done, stood and patiently waited for just a few seconds.
By the sound of things, the dogs could have looked to be headed into the house. It may have been ill-judged on her part to carry on walking, but it may have looked safe to her (thinking that your dogs were en-route indoors). We all make errors of judgement.

I know you want to make yourself feel a little better about the incident - it's human nature to do so - and so allot a little blame onto the other party, but, truthfully, it sounds as though she did nothing wrong at all. Her timing may have been out, but I'm sure that we've all suffered that at times.

I honestly think that the comments you've had that you don't like are nothing to do with 'Gnasher-bashing', more that people are putting themselves in the shoes of your neighbour and understanding why she is so incensed.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Moral of the story is don't sell off part of your land or have a shared driveway.....???

Can't believe this is already 16 pages and counting!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:24 PM
We haven't had Ben for years - only 2 years this July.

The first incident on the drive took place I'm not sure when, this year, but probably February time, really cannot remember. The garden jumping incident was about 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Don't worry, nothing else will happen on our account. What she will do to Ben, god only knows. I think it really is best that we just avoid each other, which is what I am trying to do. I really cannot be responsible though for her actions.

I think the suggestion of the railway sleepers was an excellent one. There is a reclaims place near us who sells them, I will see how much they are - I will need about 4 I would think maximum so it shouldn't cost too much. I really don't want to have to gate off that bit of the garden, because it is in the shade so nice for the 2 hairy monsters.
A very sensible approach and valuable lessons learned. Well done!!

Actions always speak louder than words and, given time and no more incidents, things will die down
Page 16 of 51 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »