Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
One of the reasons for the high premium is your breed of dog, Labrador.

As there are circa 45,000 labradors registered with the KC each year there, therefore, percentage wise more of the breed that run into trouble.

the second factor in your premium is your postcode, these also goven prices for vets etc.

So, if you want a cheaper premium, swap your dog for another breed and move to somewhere cheaper!

LOL - well put
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by boxergoggins View Post
Hi,

Im in Kent and have recently taken out insurance with Petplan

Freya my cocker spaniel pup (now 11 weeks) is £47 a month and
Merlin 18 month border collie is £47 a month...

Maybe £47 is the "in" price at the moment!! As S.Bear says def breed of dog and postcode lottery!!

Mad, isn't it???
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Hi, Ive just been quoted £35 pm for lifetime cover for sasi a Northern Inuit. I was quoted £37 for Khal a German shepherd-x & am paying £17 for Ruby (Black labrador) at More than.
I really need to get my finger out & sort out some for the 3 of them, sasis free petplan runs out in 2 days

Bev x

Thanks - is that quote for your NI from PetPlan? If yes, that's really good - I thought a Labrador (me) would be less expensive than a NI. Shows how much I know!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
oh forgot to add we have a Northern inuit, utonagon and a gsd mix x

Thanks

So I'm paying virtually half of what you pay, and I only have one dog. And as two of yours are more rare (NI and Utonagon) I don't get it! Thanks so much for telling me what yours cost, it's hard to compare otherwise

I guess it's what SMOKEY BEAR said; Labradors are more 'common' so are featuring in more claims, accidents, etc etc....

LOL - it's a good excuse for getting a dog that is more rare Next dog: NI
Blue Roan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm with Pet Plan and have been since my eldest (12 and half) was an 8 week old pupster.

Truda (12 and half) £38.52 - Blue Roan Cocker Spaniel.

Chloe (11 in September) £38.06 - Orange Roan Cocker Spaniel......£6 per month increase as she is now over 10 yrs.

Both girls are £4000 worth of vet fees.

Moo-Moo ( 6 ys) £33.74 - Chocolate Roan Cocker Spaniel.
£6000 worth of vet fees.

I live in Hull, East Yorkshire.
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:12 PM
My lab is on the budget for life cover and it is £25 per month but she is down as a lab cross as she was a rescue and we couldn't confirm her line or even if she was full labrador, the vet agreed with this and I have never had a problem with my claims.

Keira is £34 per month but she is on the premium cover, I didn't realise I was on budget cover with Summer but once I did I couldn't change the policy as I've claimed a few times.
Dannymoss
New Member!
Male 

19-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Just about to insure our newly acquired Golden retriever discovered that the cooperative insurance offer more or less the same policies as Pet plan ( it is the same insurance Co!) but about 1/3 cheaper! Also price promise not to increase premiums if you claim
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Dannymoss View Post
Just about to insure our newly acquired Golden retriever discovered that the cooperative insurance offer more or less the same policies as Pet plan ( it is the same insurance Co!) but about 1/3 cheaper! Also price promise not to increase premiums if you claim
Don't know anything about Co-op insurance, never looked in to them.

However, re. that last point, insurers may well 'promise' not to increas premiums after claiming, but they can increase it for a whole lot of other things, such as increasing prices of vet care etc.

That said, pet insurance generally goes up as the dog gets older anyway.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Jake is with more than, and costs £13.74 a month.

I looked into petplan when i got Jake, as he came with 4 weeks free insurance with them. But, when i looked at the price it would cost £20 to have insured him with petplan (he was about 12 weeks old at the time, and was put down as a BCx). For the life cover with more than it cost me £11.74. It went up this year by £2, but last year i put in a claim for just under £1000 (i think it was £980 to be exact) so i expected that. Also, they were fantastic when i put in the claim and paid out very fast. I have no complaints with them.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I paid £25 for Cain as a xbreed in his first years (£4000 life time cover). It went up to £30 in his 2nd year, a bit more than I thought it would. If it continues to increase by £5 a month every year, I won't be able to afford it by the time he's 5 years old and a dread what it'll be be when he goes over 8 and is classed as an old dog However I think I'd rather pay the money than take a gamble on a company that may not pay out or will rocket their premiums if you put in a claim. It's such a mine field. I wish I wasn't going to end up paying so much but I think I'll be grateful sometime if I do have to claim and I'll regret it if I switch...
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >