Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Question about Pet Plan?

Just wondered if I could canvass opinion on this - please note I am not asking others to declare what they pay but if anyone is happy to, many thanks

OK, my query: I have insured Dexter with Pet Plan; he is 2 yrs old and a Labrador.

I got him the Lifetime cover because he's a rescue and I have no idea if any care was taken over his breeding at all.

I knew Pet Plan would probably be more expensive than most of the other companies but from speaking to other people also with Pet Plan I seem to be paying quite a lot? £47 per month???

Just wondering if those of you also with Pet Plan feel what I'm paying is in line with what you pay - those of you with big breeds, that is?

Many thanks for any feedback!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I pay just over £100 a month for these 3 with pet plan lifetime cover x
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 02:04 PM
oh forgot to add we have a Northern inuit, utonagon and a gsd mix x
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I pay £70 for my three with Direct Line
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 02:16 PM
You're in London, that'll be why! I got quotes from Petplan and they're just really not feasible with two large dogs at the moment. Once OH and I move further North I'm definately going to make the switch to them (plan to stick with them for life, hopefully) as I did quotes with my friend's address near where we're looking to move and it was less than I'm paying now for the cover from Sainsburys!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 03:40 PM
One of the reasons for the high premium is your breed of dog, Labrador.

As there are circa 45,000 labradors registered with the KC each year there, therefore, percentage wise more of the breed that run into trouble.

the second factor in your premium is your postcode, these also goven prices for vets etc.

So, if you want a cheaper premium, swap your dog for another breed and move to somewhere cheaper!
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi,

Im in Kent and have recently taken out insurance with Petplan

Freya my cocker spaniel pup (now 11 weeks) is £47 a month and
Merlin 18 month border collie is £47 a month...

Maybe £47 is the "in" price at the moment!! As S.Bear says def breed of dog and postcode lottery!!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi, Ive just been quoted £35 pm for lifetime cover for sasi a Northern Inuit. I was quoted £37 for Khal a German shepherd-x & am paying £17 for Ruby (Black labrador) at More than.
I really need to get my finger out & sort out some for the 3 of them, sasis free petplan runs out in 2 days

Bev x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:28 PM
As others have said, it's down to your breed of dog and postcode area. However, PetPlan are a very good insurer.

I pay £22.04 for Molly, she is a Westie will be 8 years old in August and has been insured with PetPlan since about 5 months old.

I pay £29.42 for Roxy, a mongrel who was 10 years old in February. She has been insured with PetPlan since a month after we got her, at 5.5 years old.

I live in the West of Scotland. I've claimed for three (I think) minor things for Molly (around £400 each time) and once for Roxy (about £300).

I don't regret paying PetPlan this amount of money at all as I believe them to be one of the best, if not the best pet insurer. They usually pay out and pay out fast.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
As others have said, it's down to your breed of dog and postcode area. However, PetPlan are a very good insurer.

I pay £22.04 for Molly, she is a Westie will be 8 years old in August and has been insured with PetPlan since about 5 months old.

I pay £29.42 for Roxy, a mongrel who was 10 years old in February. She has been insure with PetPlan since a month after we got her, at 5.5 years old.

I live in the West of Scotland. I've claimed for three (I think) minor things for Molly (around £400 each time) and once for Roxy (about £300).

I don't regret paying PetPlan this amount of money at all as I believe them to be one of the best, if not the best pet insurer. They usually pay out and pay out fast.

Thanks, it's reassuring to hear they are good
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »