View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Just been on the news, the police have had complaints about the house and the dogs that are being bred there.. according to residents, its seems they are known for breeding aggressive dogs..

And the police have not followed it up... once again the DDA act is being flouted by those who breed these dogs along with the authorities
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I dont see the point in keeping the dog alive, for assessment, as much info can be gained from taking statements from the people involved, {assuming they were present when the attack happend}
You are also assuming that they are competent to give accurate assesments of the dog's temperament and actions during and prior to the incident.

I suggest that the very fact that this tragedy occured at all indicates the possibilty that the owner/keeper's judgement may be flawed.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
You are also assuming that they are competent to give accurate assesments of the dog's temperament and actions during and prior to the incident.

I suggest that the very fact that this tragedy occured at all indicates the possibilty that the owner/keeper's judgement may be flawed.

your prob right, but in the same breath, keeping the dog alive, doing assessments, will not save the life of a child in a sinario where the adults of the family are not competent, Im not saying this family are, or are not, but in 99.9% of these attacks the family were not the type to give a fig about research into dog attacks. So who would it really benifit? the people who already know the signs to watch out for, the people who are careful with dogs and kids?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Yet again dogs (and a child) have been failed by humans. Tragic.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:30 PM
It has been suggested on our local news that the dog was an American Bull Dog. Police have not confirmed the yet.

So not a banned breed.
I have just given an interview on the radio and they were asking if the police should be testing more dogs, I said no because even legal breeds of dog can kill and to penalise a dog because of the way it looks is just a waste of time.

Just to add if the police had gone to the house and found the breed of dog was not an illegal breed what could they have done.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
It has been suggested on our local news that the dog was an American Bull Dog. Police have not confirmed the yet.

So not a banned breed.
I have just given an interview on the radio and they were asking if the police should be testing more dogs, I said no because even legal breeds of dog can kill and to penalise a dog because of the way it looks is just a waste of time.

Just to add if the police had gone to the house and found the breed of dog was not an illegal breed what could they have done.
The dog wouldve still been shot..wasnt that the case of the rottie last year?
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:36 PM
update from sky news

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...00911415479946
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
The dog wouldve still been shot..wasnt that the case of the rottie last year?
I was refering to the post saying someone had complained back in feb about dog breeding at the house. The Police are getting flack because they did not take any action.
Sorry should quoted the relevant bit to make it clear.

In my opinion it is right that the dog was shot after it attacked but what could be done before to prevent it happening if the dog was not an illegal breed.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I was refering to the post saying someone had complained back in feb about dog breeding at the house. The Police are getting flack because they did not take any action.
Sorry should quoted the relevant bit to make it clear.

In my opinion it is right that the dog was shot after it attacked but what could be done before to prevent it happening if the dog was not an illegal breed.
sky news are now saying its a PB, but who knows, the story may be diff depending on whos reporting it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2009, 06:49 PM

So not a banned breed.

Thats true, but if the police had gone to investigate, and the dog was an illegal dog, then the child may not now be dead.

All hindsight now sadly!!
Page 12 of 53 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »