Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sally T
New Member!
Female 

30-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Bladder stones in dogs

I'm New on this forum please can someone give me some advice

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.My 7year old male neutered Border Terrier has recently had numerous bladder stones removed,It was quite a traumatic time as her didn't cope with the anisthetic very well and 3weeks on is still leaky and seems to have the symptons of cystitus . I spoke to the vet last night who advised we are still waiting on the results from the lab as to what exactly the stones are made of.Also the leaky thing etc could be due to the bladder still not healed - he says to leave it another 10 days before testing his wee again
He says once we know what the stones are we can look at his diet. Since his op I have taken him off of dried food.
H e is not a very good drinker. He is also very fussy ! But will eat tinned Butchers .I am also filtering his drinking water and adding a small amount of stock to his drinking water to encourage him to drink. Am I doing the right thing??? Has anyone had dealings with dog bladder stones Please advise ,,,thank-you Sally
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Hi sorry to hear about your dog and his problems. I don't know anything about kidney stones, but just wanted to reassure you that you are doing the right thing imo by adding chicken stock or whatever to his water to encourage him to drink. I'm sure your vet isn't concerned too much otherwise he would have asked you to bring him back in, so it could sound like it's normal for him to be like this after his particular op, but I don't really know as I have no experience, sorry.

It's imperative that you keep up his fluid levels, so if you have to boil up some chicken and use the stock, so be it, it can only help your situation.

Good luck with your boy, I hope everything turns out well for him and you.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Hello Sally and welcome I can't really add much to Helena's post.

Sometimes adding a little honey to drinking water can encourage a dog to drink, it should not to be used long term though because it is not good for the teeth.

You should know a bit more when the vet gets the results of the composition of the stones, he can then advise with regard to diet .

I hope your little dog is better soon, please let us know how he gets on
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Hello Sally - I really feel for you, but can add no more than Helena and Meg, except to say do be careful that the stock you add to the water has no salt in it. I am sure that you know that anyway.

Good luck with those results, and I hope that your little chap is soon back to his old self.
chrriss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I had this problem with Toby my staffie

Try him with Pedialyte, it works well with dogs, get the flavorless one, then try to incorporate it with the chicken broth. You can get this from Asda it's used for children but OK for Canines too. PS please use this at your own discretion ( I am not a vet) xxxx
Sally T
New Member!
Female 

31-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Thank-you all for your replies . I have today boiled chicken bones then strained them into a broth and he has drank so much more . I will remember the Pedialyte though as I'm not sure how long beforeh egets fed up with the broth ! He is a fussy little boy but such a lovely chap that I really just want him back to his oldself. I would put a picture on here of him but I'm struggling to find out how to do that - any help would be grateful !
Sally T
New Member!
Female 

31-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi Chriss did your staffie have bladder stones? did he have to have them surgically removed? If so do you know how long the recovery period was? George is well in himself but still a bit leaky and seems to keep strainig after peeing,,,the vet said it could go on for another week yet is this normal I wonder