Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 06:47 AM

Walking to heel.

Please give me some tips

Theo is 3 months old and does not like road walking, hence I take him ''for a drag''

I do keep saying heel and gently trying to show him but alas no luck yet.

Please tell me your tips and also when your dog walked to heel nicely [at what age]

Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Please give me some tips

Theo is 3 months old and does not like road walking, hence I take him ''for a drag''
Sorry I just had to laugh at that, I remember it so well, is it him draging you or you draging him?

A friend of mine gave me a tip the other day, I dont know how well it works but it may be worth a try. You get a wooden spoon and put something yummy on it, then as you walk you hold the spoon near to your knee, hopefully the pup then starts walking to heal without any problems.

A lot of people on here will have far better advice than me I have only ever managed to get one of mine, Culotte, to walk nicely to heel.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Just seen this so this may help
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=134738
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 07:31 AM
he he

i am dragging him...........

mmmmmm might try that sounds like a plan.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Yes, who's dragging who?!

My method (& the one we use at training classes) is to do lots of "this way" or "follow me" exercises at home & in the garden, off lead. Arm yourself with lots of tiny tasty treats, walk away & encourage your puppy to come with you & as soon as he reaches your side, reward with a tiny treat. Do this lots, change direction, walk round the garden & house. Use the same verbal cue consistently & use lots of treats. Try to then "smooth" it out so you're not stopping to reward, but walking & treating at the same time (hence the very tiny bits of food so your puppy doesn't need to stop to eat).

Then when he's consistently following you around the house & garden, attach the lead & continue, trying to keep the lead as loose as possible.

Always give the treat from the side you want him to walk on, & when he is level with your knee, not if he gets in front of you. If he starts jumping around, trying to get the treat, then just drop it on the ground, so he learns to look for the treat on the floor.

When he can reliably do this round the house & garden, try it out in the park, or wherever you walk him, but when there are no distractions around, & when you have his attention. Practice but only for a few minutes a session, maybe several times a day.

This can be done even more easily with a clicker so perhaps you could see if there are any clicker training classes in your area?

Ps I meant to add, if you're dragging your puppy, then perhaps you need to consider whether you're giving the right type of exercise in an appropriate place? Is he maybe scared of traffic? Are you walking him for too long for his age? Is it possible that he has an injury that makes it hurt for him to walk?
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Ps I meant to add, if you're dragging your puppy, then perhaps you need to consider whether you're giving the right type of exercise in an appropriate place? Is he maybe scared of traffic? Are you walking him for too long for his age? Is it possible that he has an injury that makes it hurt for him to walk?

Thanks for the replies.

I am just walking him around the block, he does not seem to like road walking. He stops and sniffs at everything ha ha. He is a very nosy dog!!!!!!

He runs in the park/beach so I feel there is no injury.

thanks again and i will do the treat thing.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Please give me some tips

I do keep saying heel and gently trying to show him but alas no luck yet.

Please tell me your tips and also when your dog walked to heel nicely [at what age]

Imo a 3 month old pup Should not be road walked, too damaging for their bones, & no dog especially a puppy should be dragged anywhere,

My advice would be that you attend a training class
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Imo a 3 month old pup Should not be road walked, too damaging for their bones, & no dog especially a puppy should be dragged anywhere,

My advice would be that you attend a training class
Please feel free to trawl all my old threads.

You are the first person to tell me not to road walk, why is this?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Please feel free to trawl all my old threads.

You are the first person to tell me not to road walk, why is this?
I dont know, Its my own opinion,
i dont road walk puppies & would never advise others too & would warn against it.

Who told you to Roadwalk him?
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I dont know, Its my own opinion,
i dont road walk puppies & would never advise others too & would warn against it.

Who told you to Roadwalk him?

Nobody told me....

SORRY i CANT GO ON WITH THIS.

he is being walked for 10 mins around my block then taken for a run in the field.....

and anyway you replied to late with the help above we have it sorted.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »