Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Dogs Today Article: The Shocking Truth

The latest Dogs Today contains an excellent case study by Victoria Stilwell of the sad effect of training with pain. It`s good to know this backlash against cruelty for profit is reaching the mainstream media.
The most telling sentence for me was...
(Shock) controls a dog without allowing that dog to solve problems... the dog effectively gives up. ... it is a technique that essentially cripples an animal`s true learning ability.
One dog was saved from daily torture - let`s hope the message will help to save others.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Last trip I had to Scotland (Not Mull), a couple of Spaniels passed by our accomodation (footpath runs through garden), one was all over our garden (this is in the forest), the owner was not bothered. The other had one of these shock things around its neck. The one that was running about did not. Walking them was two men. I can only assumme one belonged to each. It was sad to see. Although we did not see him use it. I would rather keep them on lead in the forest, if fearful, than shock them.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Yes I read the article too, very good. Learned helplessness has been a well known behavioural terms for decades since it was first discovered through electric shock experimints on rats. They learn that everything the do causes pain which is unavoidable so they just stop doing anything of course, science aside, any remotely compassionate and intelligent human being knows that inflicting pain is abhorent, especially when effective postive alternatives exist. Would you teach your children would you? Although I can think of a few children who could use it (like the ones who burnt that poor rottie )!

Anyway I've no doubt Adam Palmer will have something to say about this...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Was that the one with the basset hound that the trainer said sould be pts? Its so sad that so caaled trainers have to resort to such methods, and think that the shock collar is the answer to everything, and leave the dog living a life of fear.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Oh, sounds excellent!

I had stopped subscribing a while back as I wasn't getting a chance to read them all, so it was a bit of a waste really! However, I do look at them occasionall in Tesco and decide then if I'm buying the mag or not. I think I'll be buying this one, though.

Thanks for letting us know about it.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Looking forward to reading it

IMO the minute you resort to inflicting pain (sorry stim, sensation,tickle or whatever euphanism that makes you feel better) you have lost the battle.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
IMO the minute you resort to inflicting pain sorry stim, sensation,tickle or whatever euphanism that makes you feel better) you have lost the battle.
So true.......

and so sad for so many dogs.....
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Looking forward to reading it

IMO the minute you resort to inflicting pain (sorry stim, sensation,tickle or whatever euphanism that makes you feel better) you have lost the battle.
Very true!